Back to Top!

Debate How much are kpop sites worth? Soompi sold to Viki for "less than $10 million"!?

Heated discussions about k-pop idols and groups. Not for the weak!
Page 1 of 1
littlejay
Post Sep 15, 2016 @ 10:14 am

How much do you think kpop sites are worth?

It surprised me when I discovered an article about Soompi selling to Viki for less than $10 million. So my guess would be around the $8-$9.5 million range (https://techcrunch.com/2015/08/20/globa ... -10m-deal/). Did they overpay for it?

Soompi has been around for like 20 years so I'm not hating on them at all. But for a website that barely gets any comments on their news articles and a forum that is slower than KPS, do you think that site is worth that much? They do get 7 million users a month but I'm sure most of them are lurkers who don't participate in the forum or news similar to KPS.

This is how I would value the top sites:

1. AKP - $5-8 million
2. Koreaboo - $3 million (they made a comeback recently and seem to be doing well)
3. Soompi - $1 million (mostly for the brand and big social media pages cause they have been around longer than any other kpop site out there. But if it wasn't for the brand, I would actually value it a little more than KPS like $200k).
4. KPS - $100k (If the admins actually fix and redo the site, they might be able to raise it to $500k-1 million or more).

When Kpop was peaking/getting popular a few years ago, I would value all of these sites even higher. But it seems like the kpop industry is declining now. Hopefully it will make a comeback soon.

I didn't list the other kpop forums cause I think it's hard to actually sell just a forum.

Pitu-chan
Post Sep 15, 2016 @ 4:38 pm

I think Soompi have a market? Maybe that's why and since they post news I think people visit it the page even though the forum is dead 

littlejay
Post Sep 16, 2016 @ 3:30 pm

Pitu-chan wrote:I think Soompi have a market? Maybe that's why and since they post news I think people visit it the page even though the forum is dead 
a market? you mean a store? Yeah, that could be it. Depends how much profit they make per year. Their news is kind of dead too though.

Pitu-chan
Post Dec 11, 2016 @ 11:30 pm

littlejay wrote:
Pitu-chan wrote:I think Soompi have a market? Maybe that's why and since they post news I think people visit it the page even though the forum is dead 
a market? you mean a store? Yeah, that could be it. Depends how much profit they make per year. Their news is kind of dead too though.

Right a store and I think from time to time they have like draws and stuff

littlejay
Post Feb 11, 2017 @ 12:00 am

Pitu-chan wrote:
littlejay wrote:

Right a store and I think from time to time they have like draws and stuff
giveaways. That's pretty cool. But 10 mil is a lot.

Page 1 of 1