Back to Top!

Debate Idol vs Artist Thread

Heated discussions about k-pop idols and groups. Not for the weak!
Page 1 of 1
Honesty
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:24 am

This topic has probably been beaten like a dead horse before but people seemed pretty passionate about it so I might as well make the thread for it. Every forum needs one.

Are idols artists? What is the difference? Which idols do you consider artists?

I wouldn't care less but I think YG tries too hard to promote his talents as "artists" with his speels about creativity, artistic freedom and how talented artists are going to be more popular than idols one day. It is aggressive and he knows how to throw shade.

Kimochi
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:25 am

Depends on your definition of artist.

justica
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:25 am

Artists actually have talent and rely on their talent to take them far in the industry... unlike some idols who depend on looks and other stuff

Honesty
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:26 am

Kimochi wrote:Depends on your definition of artist.

Dude, I'm trying so hard to make some longass threads. Don't wrap it up so perfectly like that.

tabloholic
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:26 am

God, I hate this debate so much.

CoolestBitch
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:27 am

Artists create art while idols receive and work on the art given to them

simple as that

atlantica
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:27 am

I think an artist is anyone who's able to perform any kind of art.

Dancing is an art
Singing is an art

so most idols would be called artists, IMO D:

eggies
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:31 am

i have no idea, bcs if we're going by the definition of the word artists in English language, the ones who perform and create art, both are considered artist.
So this "artist" and "idols" term are purely contextual on South Korean society's point of view, and i never do research thoroughly on how South Korean perceive the terms.

Kyuhyun - Kang Min Kyung - Jessica - Hyorin - Onew - Leo - IU
minkwon2
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:33 am

If you have every song and concept written for you: idol

If you are actually active in composing your own music: artist

Writing like two songs doesn't earn you the title either.

But I really don't care tbh. I still have a high respect for idols who are very talented.

KenKenni
Post May 24, 2013 @ 9:34 am

idols are artist regardless of if u like it or not. look up the definition and you can clearly see that. ppl should stop undermining idols ! especially when you prolly can't even do half of what they can. i mean, being good looking is a fucking skill!

Page 1 of 1