Back to Top!

Additional differences between KPOP and APOP: Drew Ryan Scott interview

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
Page 1 of 1
ONIT
Post Aug 27, 2013 @ 1:35 am

KCON had many KPOP songwriters. However, I found this interview from last year. The songwriter gives additional information about how KPOP songs are written differently in comparison to APOP songs. Very interesting!

In case you don't know the songwriter. It's Drew Ryan Scott. He wrote many songs for TVXQ, SHINee, VIXX etc.

AFTER SNSD, KPOP FANS UNITE AGAIN FOR MTV EMA, VOTE FOR EXO: tv.mtvema.com/vote#cat=worldwide-act

"I don't tolerate fools, and they don't tolerate me." Dame Maggie Smith
damianb
Post Aug 27, 2013 @ 2:55 am

What the fuck is he even talking about ?
In America artists are ripping off their fans , and in Korea they don't?
American music videos suck ? Obviously he hasn't seen some of the amazing videos done for Lana Del Rey, Florence+ The Machine, GaGa and lots of others.

Feel like he was there to bash the American market and praise kpop to high heavens.
Maybe he's pissed that his little boy band is a complete failure.
Comparing what's socially acceptable in Korea and America is kinda dumb because as I said the Korean and American society accepts different things. Female idols gets bashed and criticized for wearing skimpy, slutty outfits. No one in Korea would ever have the guts to perform in a seashell bikini like GaGa did at the VMA's this year.

ONIT
Post Aug 27, 2013 @ 3:21 am

damianb wrote:What the fuck is he even talking about ?
In America artists are ripping off their fans , and in Korea they don't?
American music videos suck ? Obviously he hasn't seen some of the amazing videos done for Lana Del Rey, Florence+ The Machine, GaGa and lots of others.

Feel like he was there to bash the American market and praise kpop to high heavens.

You obviously didn't listen and took one sentence as a reason to rant.

The basic structure of a Korean song:
intro
1st verse
pre-chorus
chorus
post-chorus
re-into into 2nd verse
2nd verse
2nd pre-chorus
2nd chorus
2nd post-chorus
bridge
chorus
post-chorus

Dance breaks which are not really done anymore in America. Koreans like to have the parts to be different. The pre-chorus is totally different from the chorus, the core percussion changes. In America the core percussion stays the same most of the times nowadays. In Korea they love different chords.

KPOP allows genre switches without criticizing the artist and questioning the motive.

Then he adds things that were said a million times in this forum. The diferent fashion style of KPOP

Concerning the rip off, it's clearly about regular MVs. If you believe artists like Lana Del Rey, Florence+ The Machine, GaGa are regular artists with regular MVs, then you must surely hate them.

EDIT: BTW, the interview was for Asia Pacific Arts which is American, UCLA/USC.

AFTER SNSD, KPOP FANS UNITE AGAIN FOR MTV EMA, VOTE FOR EXO: tv.mtvema.com/vote#cat=worldwide-act

"I don't tolerate fools, and they don't tolerate me." Dame Maggie Smith
Page 1 of 1