Back to Top!

Asia Japan's racism towards Korea - A different perspective

Events happening around the world
J-Arc
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:51 am

I know for many of us, we look at Korean's comments towards the Japanese on a site like Netizenbuzz, and think that its 1-sided bigotism that Korea hasn't let go of. But the reality is that both sides are in the wrong, and its an ongoing feud of racism between the 2 nations. It also goes far beyond the Dokdo controversy

http://www.japancrush.com/2013/stories/ ... raged.html

Japan's equivalent of the WBC makes a racist protest against Koreans, and every single comment supports them.

This gem is probably the worst one:

'We absolutely can’t allow hate speech by Koreans toward the Japanese. Comfort women? Lies! Invasion? Morons who don’t feel gratitude for being “merged” and “modernized” during the colonial period can shut the hell up! We can’t forgive the Koreans who extort money and insult our ancestors’ dreams of peace in Asia.'

There have been hate speech demonstrations in protest to expel Koreans living in Japan, and "eliminate the privelage" of Zainichi Koreans (Korean residents of Japan who trace their roots to the Korea under Japanese rule)

Mentioning Japan's past war crimes is 'hate speech' against Japanese apparently, in a similar fashion to bringing up the Nazi party and its propaganda in Germany.

The article is a pretty concise, but informative read, so I recommend taking a look at it

mizukisan
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 7:54 am

Actually there is hate going on among china, japan, and korea. None of them asian countries like each other.

yoonrikai
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 8:07 am

If you actually know anything about the history of Japanese colonialism
you'd know why...
Koreans, chinese along with the rest of southeast asia all have good reasons to be angry at them to this day

Five
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:15 pm

The Japanese have a legitimate point. I think the reason why we don't blame the Germans to this day is because the media has payed too much attention to Hitler, whereas the Japanese Army was coordinated by numerous leaders with the same ideal.

For those who don't understand the full extent of why Japan has a horrid background, refer to the Nanking Massacre in China and Korea under the Japanese rule. The Japanese pulled some of the most inhumane acts of mankind to the point where the Hiroshima/Nagasaki bombings were considered to many as just 'scratching the surface of getting even'.

However, to balance things off. The Japanese, since then has tried to reconcile differences with both China and Korea but Korea in particular has refused their 'help'. For example, the Asian Women’s Fund. In terms of a formal apology, the Japanese or any powerful nation refuses to do it unless they know for complete certainty that their apology will make a difference.

You never really understand a person until you consider things from [their] point of view
- Until you climb into [their] skin and walk around it."

- To Kill A Mockingbird
Letsjijiparty
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:21 pm

I am not surprised that China and Korea don't get along that well with Japan. Japan's past war aggressions and continuous denials of war crimes by their leaders are more than enough to cause such hate among the people of these countries.

Minato
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:26 pm

Oh god
Japan, denying your past war crimes is a no-no. It makes you look stupid.
But that's the thing: It's the past.
Most of the people who are still fighting about it and upset about it weren't even around at that time. >.>
They just want something to be angry about.

Kyoko
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:32 pm

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, LOVE AND TOLERATE.

4MINUTE | Utada Hikaru | Big Time Rush | EXO | U-KISS | SHINee | Girls' Generation | f(x) | Brown Eyed Girls | T-ARA
Five
Post Jun 19, 2013 @ 10:36 pm

Minato wrote:Oh god
Most of the people who are still fighting about it and upset about it weren't even around at that time. >.>

True, people weren't around at the time but the legacy still lingers in elderly Korean females with half Japanese children or the thousands who have a deformed gene in their body because of the bombings. Not only that, I'd say much of China and Korea's post-war nationalism and development was created against Japan (i.e: Racist stabs at the Japanese in order for politicians to win the election).

To be fair, the Japanese aren't 'denying' their war crimes. It seems like unless an apology is issued, the Japanese are refusing their war crimes, which isn't the case. In this day an age, the Japanese shouldn't need to constantly apologise (which they have) just as much as China and Korea shouldn't be out right racist towards them. An apology isn't grasped the same way in Asian nations as Western nations. It is a big deal to the integrity of a nation and the Japanese have, more than once, put it on the line. If it isn't likely to achieve forgiveness or change, no leader will do it.

You never really understand a person until you consider things from [their] point of view

- To Kill A Mockingbird
yoonrikai
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 8:04 am

Five wrote:
Minato wrote:Oh god

True, people weren't around at the time but the legacy still lingers in elderly Korean females with half Japanese children or the thousands who have a deformed gene in their body because of the bombings. Not only that, I'd say much of China and Korea's post-war nationalism and development was created against Japan (i.e: Racist stabs at the Japanese in order for politicians to win the election).

To be fair, the Japanese aren't 'denying' their war crimes. It seems like unless an apology is issued, the Japanese are refusing their war crimes, which isn't the case. In this day an age, the Japanese shouldn't need to constantly apologise (which they have) just as much as China and Korea shouldn't be out right racist towards them. An apology isn't grasped the same way in Asian nations as Western nations. It is a big deal to the integrity of a nation and the Japanese have, more than once, put it on the line. If it isn't likely to achieve forgiveness or change, no leader will do it.

Sure technically they have apologized (half heartily), their first official apology to china took them almost 30 years.

Their government chooses to whitewash what happened (or flat out lie) in the text books that they use to teach their children. Germany made it illegal to deny the holocaust. In Japan today, you still have hordes of people saying that the Rape of Nanjing wasn't as bad or never existed and that all the comfort women volunteered. Most don't even know what Unit 731 is since Japan pretty much left that little nasty bit of history out all together. Until the national attitude is that of remorse for what happened and not trying to weasel out of responsibility for their actions, then everyone can "move on".
To add salt to the wound, japanese leaders still visit shrines honoring dead imperial japanese commanders and generals.

Theirs a huge difference to how post imperial japan and post nazi germany apologized to their victims, dealt with there warcrimes and made sure there citizens knew of what they have done.

Five
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 10:07 am

yoonrikai wrote:Sure technically they have apologized (half heartily), their first official apology to china took them almost 30 years.

Their government chooses to whitewash what happened (or flat out lie) in the text books that they use to teach their children. Germany made it illegal to deny the holocaust. In Japan today, you still have hordes of people saying that the Rape of Nanjing wasn't as bad or never existed and that all the comfort women volunteered. Most don't even know what Unit 731 is since Japan pretty much left that little nasty bit of history out all together. Until the national attitude is that of remorse for what happened and not trying to weasel out of responsibility for their actions, then everyone can "move on".
To add salt to the wound, japanese leaders still visit shrines honoring dead imperial japanese commanders and generals.

Theirs a huge difference to how post imperial japan and post nazi germany apologized to their victims, dealt with there warcrimes and made sure there citizens knew of what they have done.

The education systems of nationalistic countries are always the most skewed with the things they teach you. Logically speaking, I don't think America teaches their children directly just how bad the slavery and massacres of Native Americans were. They'd just say that 'it happened' and leave it at that. It defies the morale of the nation to teach your kids just how bad your parents are and how your forefathers were. Lying directly on the other hand, is another problem. I've heard that the Japanese are slowly incorporating their history into the textbooks as war veterans are slowly laid to rest. Probably not in the same way we want it to, but it is progress.

I'm aware there have been half assed apologies thrown around but I'm trying to see this with a less ethnocentric account. I noted earlier that an apology is a big deal, especially with regard to a country like Japan. It doesn't just mean potentially evoking forgiveness and promoting change, but the word can insult a legion of soldiers who gave up their lives to achieve a national goal. This is a huge reason as to why the textbooks are stretched from the truth and why the first apology took as long as it did.

I think the bottom line is that Japan had this robust culture that is independent from the normality of others. The Imperial Army raised their soldiers to be brutal and that ultimately became a definition of 'normal' for them. Whatever decisions the Japanese government makes with regard to this, I'm sure it isn't an absolutely pathetic reason.

Speaking on the premise of my own opinion, I agree with you. Not enough can make up for the fact that they were harpooning pregnant women, burning people alive and using them as tools for experiments. I originally thought the atomic bombings were drastic decisions that took it too far until I found out the full extent of what the Japanese Army had committed beforehand.

- To Kill A Mockingbird
pinkllover98
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 10:29 am

Five wrote:
yoonrikai wrote:Sure technically they have apologized (half heartily), their first official apology to china took them almost 30 years.

The education systems of nationalistic countries are always the most skewed with the things they teach you. Logically speaking, I don't think America teaches their children directly just how bad the slavery and massacres of Native Americans were. They'd just say that 'it happened' and leave it at that. It defies the morale of the nation to teach your kids just how bad your parents are and how your forefathers were. Lying directly on the other hand, is another problem. I've heard that the Japanese are slowly incorporating their history into the textbooks as war veterans are slowly laid to rest. Probably not in the same way we want it to, but it is progress.

I'm aware there have been half assed apologies thrown around but I'm trying to see this with a less ethnocentric account. I noted earlier that an apology is a big deal, especially with regard to a country like Japan. It doesn't just mean potentially evoking forgiveness and promoting change, but the word can insult a legion of soldiers who gave up their lives to achieve a national goal. This is a huge reason as to why the textbooks are stretched from the truth and why the first apology took as long as it did.

I think the bottom line is that Japan had this robust culture that is independent from the normality of others. The Imperial Army raised their soldiers to be brutal and that ultimately became a definition of 'normal' for them. Whatever decisions the Japanese government makes with regard to this, I'm sure it isn't an absolutely pathetic reason.

Speaking on the premise of my own opinion, I agree with you. Not enough can make up for the fact that they were harpooning pregnant women, burning people alive and using them as tools for experiments. I originally thought the atomic bombings were drastic decisions that took it too far until I found out the full extent of what the Japanese Army had committed beforehand.

america does teach its students about the severity of slavery and the american Indian massacres

[img][img]http://31.media.tumblr.com/c4512a50992d4185d60dcd71e605bb97/tumblr_msu9tpaWnV1qek9svo1_500.gif[/img][/img]
ch3mist
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 10:35 am

That thread~

Calannie
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 10:38 am

dreams of peace in Asia.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAH.. omg .. Japan you soooo funny... really you should stahp..... my tummy hurts from laughing so hard.

Seungslut
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 10:45 am

Calannie wrote:
dreams of peace in Asia.

HAHAHAHAAHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHAAH.. omg .. Japan you soooo funny... really you should stahp..... my tummy hurts from laughing so hard.

It's hard to dream of peace in any country nowadays..

except Canada of course, where everything is good and jolly.

SuRoRo
Post Jun 20, 2013 @ 7:34 pm

Who cares most japanese are a bunch of psychotic right-wing nationalists anyway... You could find many of their comments on youtube and jap online communities... they're just mental and disgusting...