Back to Top!

Bash Sometimes I forget how delulu other kpop fans can be

Heated discussions about k-pop idols and groups. Not for the weak!
Nobody
Post May 30, 2014 @ 12:04 pm

So I was watching a kpop vs jpop mv and i was scrolling through the comments and the majority were kpop fans bashing jpop, and vice versa; and then i found this

And I was laughing so hard, like i love kpop and all that but i do know that its seen as pre teens/ kids music and it makes me laugh so hard when fans who have never talked to a Korean or been to Korea say that "kpop is soooo popular over there like everybody wants a piece of my bias".


The Senpai that will never notice you~

Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 12:16 pm

Everytime that a Kpoper says that Kpop is more popular than Jpop, I just wanna make them swallow this list :frustrated:


littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:32 pm

Unique wrote:Everytime that a Kpoper says that Kpop is more popular than Jpop, I just wanna make them swallow this list :frustrated:

i dont think this is real because Kpop is a billion dollar industry. It should be at least 3rd place.

Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:38 pm

littlejay wrote:i dont think this is real because Kpop is a billion dollar industry. It should be at least 3rd place.

Not in a chance. SK is bellow Netherlands (11th) . And it's only a 187.5 million dollar industry (not to mention that it decreased -4.3%).


ohailaurenn
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:42 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:i dont think this is real because Kpop is a billion dollar industry. It should be at least 3rd place.

Not in a chance. SK is bellow Netherlands. And it's only a 187.5 million dollar industry.

SK actually knocked the Netherlands out of the top 10, putting them on the list for the first time.
source
But they still have a long way to go to even get anywhere near Japan.


Life of a fangirl can be so rough. ~Tumblr~

littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:43 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:i dont think this is real because Kpop is a billion dollar industry. It should be at least 3rd place.

Not in a chance. SK is bellow Netherlands. And it's only a 187.5 million dollar industry.

where do u get this info? That's even less money than what SM makes each year. The revenue that came into SM in 2012 was $154 million. In 2014, it's probably much higher figure than that. Possibly close to $300 million. And that's only SM. If you add up JYP, Cube, YG, etc it will be over a billion.

Revenue US$61,788,496 (2009)[1]
US$86,400,963 (2010)[1]
US$99,437,600 (2011)[2]
US$154,401,103 (2012) [3]

Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:49 pm

littlejay wrote:where do u get this info? That's even less money than what SM makes each year. The revenue that came into SM in 2012 was $154 million. In 2014, it's probably much higher figure than that. Possibly close to $300 million. And that's only SM. If you add up JYP, Cube, YG, etc it will be over a billion.

Revenue US$61,788,496 (2009)[1]
US$86,400,963 (2010)[1]
US$99,437,600 (2011)[2]
US$154,401,103 (2012) [3]

Both me and @ohailaurenn are getting the info from the IFPI repport, that just counts music sales. SM, YG, and JYP get also profits from tours, cms, acting roles, etc. and I think that doesn't count.


littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:where do u get this info? That's even less money than what SM makes each year. The revenue that came into SM in 2012 was $154 million. In 2014, it's probably much higher figure than that. Possibly close to $300 million. And that's only SM. If you add up JYP, Cube, YG, etc it will be over a billion.

Revenue US$61,788,496 (2009)[1]
US$86,400,963 (2010)[1]
US$99,437,600 (2011)[2]
US$154,401,103 (2012) [3]

Both me and @ohailaurenn are getting the info from the IFPI repport, that just counts music sales. SM, YG, and JYP get also profits from tours, cms, acting roles, etc. and I think that doesn't count.

ya but those should be included too. They should count revenue not sales on specific things. If you counted revenue from these industries, Kpop is probably in the top 3-5 largest music industries today.

Here's what I found.
The industry’s revenues hit about $3.4 billion in 2011, according to the Korea Creative Content Agency (KOCCA), a government group that promotes the country’s cultural initiatives. K-pop’s exports also rose to $180 million last year — jumping 112 percent compared to 2010. Exports have been growing on an average annual rate of nearly 80 percent since 2007. In the first half of 2012, it grossed nearly US$3.4 billion,[6] and was recognized by Time magazine as "South Korea's Greatest Export".[7]

That means in 2012, it probably grossed $6.8 billion. In 2014, probably much higher. $10 billion wouldn't surprise me.

terucake
Post May 30, 2014 @ 1:53 pm

There is this weird ongoing war between fans of Korean pop culture and Japanese pop culture. Which is real awkward for me cause I enjoy both.
I remember an Attack on Titan fanpage posted an edit of EXO as the AoT cast and all these fans just came out of nowhere and were quick to judge and scream "Fuck Korea" in caps rage.



Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 2:04 pm

littlejay wrote:ya but those should be included too. They should count all money that comes in from these companies not whether they sell albums or not. IFPI only counts specific things like physical albums but overall if you counted everything Kpop is probably in the top 3-5 largest music industries today. There are reports from other places that says Kpop is a billion dollar industry and I think that's a more honest report.

There's a difference between Music and Entertainment industry.
Kpop basically lives from the profits from tours, commercials, etc. because the albums don't sale enough! And that's why the Japanese music industry is big, the groups make songs according to their commercial deals. That way the get money from the CM + get their music featured that will generate more album sales.Also, there's still a huge piracy thing going on in SK (unlike Japan).

And if Kpop was really a billion dollar industry, the companies wouldn't even needed to send their groups to suck out the japanese fans' money. Now you don't see many japanese groups and artists debuting in America, do you? Why? Bc they don't need it. Also there's not a lot of artists that go on world tours, bc their japanese tours give them enough money.


littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 2:16 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:ya but those should be included too. They should count all money that comes in from these companies not whether they sell albums or not. IFPI only counts specific things like physical albums but overall if you counted everything Kpop is probably in the top 3-5 largest music industries today. There are reports from other places that says Kpop is a billion dollar industry and I think that's a more honest report.

There's a difference between Music and Entertainment industry.
Kpop basically lives from the profits from tours, commercials, etc. because the albums don't sale enough! And that's why the Japanese music industry is big, the groups make songs according to their commercial deals. That way the get money from the CM + get their music featured that will generate more album sales.Also, there's still a huge piracy thing going on in SK (unlike Japan).

And if Kpop was really a billion dollar industry, the companies wouldn't even needed to send their groups to suck out the japanese fans' money. Now you don't see many japanese groups and artists debuting in America, do you? Why? Bc they don't need it. Also there's not a lot of artists that go on world tours, bc their japanese tours give them enough money.

Kpop really is a billion dollar industry. You can't deny that. There are many sources that say it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Many websites including NYTimes has mentioned it as a billion dollar industry. I'm not going trust a report that only looks at a small portion of sales to decide whether an industry is billion dollar or not. In fact, I think Kpop is bigger than Jpop at the moment. The reason SK companies want to debut in Japan is because of album sales. That's something Japan has that SK doesn't have.. Kpop is already growing each year by a large percentage. It's growing a lot faster than Jpop and is already a lot more popular than jpop. Japan may have album sales, but I can list a number of things that Japan doesn't have and will have a hard time doing that Korea is already banking in like concerts and endorsement deals around the world.

Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 2:23 pm

littlejay wrote:Kpop really is a billion dollar industry. You can't deny that. There are many sources that say it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Many websites including NYTimes has mentioned it as a billion dollar industry. I'm not going trust a report that only looks at a small portion of sales to decide whether an industry is billion dollar or not. In fact, I think Kpop is bigger than Jpop at the moment. The reason SK companies want to debut in Japan is because of album sales. That's something Japan has that SK doesn't have. But I can list a number of things that Japan doesn't have and will have a hard time doing that Korea is already banking in.

Lol what? Yes, Kpop grew a lot in 2011/12 but it's already decreasing. I see it was a trend. And it will keep decreasing as the popular groups will disband (or are already losing popularity) and new groups are getting sh*ttier.

Now Japan can manage their most popular groups, untill who knows when bc of their graduating system, that as far as I know only After School and 9M have (and they aren't even popular in Korea).


littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 2:34 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:Kpop really is a billion dollar industry. You can't deny that. There are many sources that say it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Many websites including NYTimes has mentioned it as a billion dollar industry. I'm not going trust a report that only looks at a small portion of sales to decide whether an industry is billion dollar or not. In fact, I think Kpop is bigger than Jpop at the moment. The reason SK companies want to debut in Japan is because of album sales. That's something Japan has that SK doesn't have. But I can list a number of things that Japan doesn't have and will have a hard time doing that Korea is already banking in.

Lol what? Yes, Kpop grew a lot in 2011/12 but it's already decreasing. I see it was a trend. And it will keep decreasing as the popular groups will disband (or are already losing popularity) and new groups are getting sh*ttier.

Now Japan can manage their most popular groups, untill who knows when bc of their graduating system, that as far as I know only After School and 9M have (and they aren't even popular in Korea).

I don't know some new groups have had great success. EXO is pretty new. Only 2 years old and they've done a lot. VIXX is good. Crayon Pop had some success too. There has been many collabs with Western artists recently too which Japan doesn't really have.

Unique
Post May 30, 2014 @ 2:46 pm

littlejay wrote:I don't know some new groups have had great success. EXO is pretty new. Only 2 years old and they've done a lot. VIXX is good. Crayon Pop had some success too. There has been many collabs with Western artists recently too which Japan doesn't really have.

Exo's popularity is already being shaken bc of Kris (and crazy ass exotics). So I doubt they will last that much long.
Vixx isn't even popular.
Crayon pop is kinda like PSY (except they only got more popular in Asia and not globally) and yeah their are going to open Lady Gaga's shows, so what? Lady Gaga has been "attacking" Japan by promoting a lot there, bc she knows it's a big market, and now she thinks she can do the same in SK so she invinted them. CP will end like PSY, 2 hit singles and then they become irrelevant again. (which is a shame bc I like their songs).

And Japanese artists may not collab with Western artists bc they don't need that to become more popular, unlike Korean artists *cough* YG *cough*.
(Even though Kyary is being collabing with Yelle, who knows what it will come out from that...)


littlejay
Post May 30, 2014 @ 3:09 pm

Unique wrote:
littlejay wrote:I don't know some new groups have had great success. EXO is pretty new. Only 2 years old and they've done a lot. VIXX is good. Crayon Pop had some success too. There has been many collabs with Western artists recently too which Japan doesn't really have.

Exo's popularity is already being shaken bc of Kris (and crazy ass exotics). So I doubt they will last that much long.
Vixx isn't even popular.
Crayon pop is kinda like PSY (except they only got more popular in Asia and not globally) and yeah their are going to open Lady Gaga's shows, so what? Lady Gaga has been "attacking" Japan by promoting a lot there, bc she knows it's a big market, and now she thinks she can do the same in SK so she invinted them. CP will end like PSY, 2 hit singles and then they become irrelevant again. (which is a shame bc I like their songs).

And Japanese artists may not collab with Western artists bc they don't need that to become more popular, unlike Korean artists *cough* YG *cough*.
(Even though Kyary is being collabing with Yelle, who knows what it will come out from that...)

SK doesn't need to collab with Western artists either. I like them more when they don't do that but it doesn't hurt to have options. But I feel like you are saying the reason why Kpop artists is more internationally known is because they need to spend money outside or else they will be broke. That's not true. We, the fans, made them internationally famous and rich. Which artists besides Krary and AKB48 has been talked about outside of Japan? Kpop has more opportunities and doors to make even more money than they already making now.

And Korea is already a multi billion dollar industry. Lee Soo Man is the richest stockholder in Korean Entertainment with 187 billion Korean won. That's $183 million dollars and he owns only 21.27% of SM. To say that Kpop is only a 200 million dollar industry is untrue when many of the big music labels are bringing in $150-300 million USD each year and the smaller ones are bringing in good amounts too. There is a major difference between having Western artists perform in Japan than having Jpop artists perform outside of Japan. Lady Gaga performs in Japan because Japan has a big music market. Jpop artists don't perform outside of Japan because Jpop isn't a big music market and isn't profitable outside of Japan.