Back to Top!

Debate What is your opinion on training before debuting?

Heated discussions about k-pop idols and groups. Not for the weak!
Wikipedia
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 1:38 am

In my opinion, it's not that good. What's the point in investing in trainee's when only a few debut? A lot of these trainee's train for up to 7 years yet still aren't very good. What's the point in that? It's really a whole lot easier to just find a bunch of talented folks, have them know what to do and what they're getting in to and then debut 'em. It takes less time and seems a lot easier...

And another point of that a lot of trainee's in SK are teenagers. The majority don't get very good grades since they are training all the time. This kind of system is quite pressuring. What if you don't get to debut but you also have bad grades due to training all the time? What do you fall back on? How will you get a job?

SNSD I 2NE1 I INFINITE I EXO I SHINee I T♔ARA I 2PM I Hyoyeon I CL I Sungyeol I D.O. I Jonghyun I Hyomin I Wooyoung
DianaEvlin
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 1:57 am

I agree with you... it's not efficient or convenient. I think that they should just let talented people pass the auditions, then the groups will be fewer but more talented and successful.
As you said they train so much, and never have the assurance that they'll debut one day. And to train 5-7 years without knowing if you'll debut and just do something you're not good at just because you passed the audition.... It's just not worth it.

Of course there are exceptions where not-so-talented debut and are successful, but that's just like 5-10% from the trainees.

Oi hoi hoi!
XxGamerGirlxX
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 7:16 am

I totally agree with you. I really don't get the training system.
IMO, companies should change their rules to:
1) 2 years should be the maximum training period because some trainees need to change their music style, learn more about music, to learn dancing and get to know to their group members (if they were debuting in a group).
-
2) They should just pick talented people. Not training non-talented person and pressure him for 4-7 years without knowing if s/he would actually be successful or not debuting him. I really feel bad for them.
-
3) They should totally not interfere with trainees' studies because if the trainees didn't debut, they could at least get a job.

ImSoFreaknSorry
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 7:22 am

I don't get it either, but I'd love to be trained by either YG or SM, like only be trained, not to become an idol or sth, I feel like they know how to teach people how to sing and dance and stuff

i am not here for bubble gum bullshit.
ThinCrust
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 8:47 am

I think it's a good idea. However if the person that trained for 3-5 years hasn't improved then it was a waste of time. Some people can be trained others just don't have the talent.

Wikipedia
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 12:55 pm

ImSoFreaknSorry wrote:I don't get it either, but I'd love to be trained by either YG or SM, like only be trained, not to become an idol or sth, I feel like they know how to teach people how to sing and dance and stuff

I honestly don't think so. Yoona trained for 7 years yet she still sucks. Bom had Big Mama (or another famous vocalist) as her teacher yet her technique was never corrected during training. Suho trained or 7 years yet it doesn't really show in his singing. He can sing fine but it's a bit disappointing. You get the idea...

SNSD I 2NE1 I INFINITE I EXO I SHINee I T♔ARA I 2PM I Hyoyeon I CL I Sungyeol I D.O. I Jonghyun I Hyomin I Wooyoung
littlejay
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 2:02 pm

I read somewhere that each trainee cost like $600,000 to train. That's pretty expensive considering that like half don't even make their debut or they fail miserably.

consortguiofhuaxia
Post Apr 06, 2014 @ 3:36 pm

Noble ladies (Jin Zhi Yu Ye 金枝玉葉) from eligible clans were traditionally enrolled in auditions to enter the Emperor's harem. The ladies who pass such auditions enter the palace as Preparatory Concubines (Xiunü 秀女) where they are give small temporary residence chambers (often of a poorer quality than their home mansions, in fact) and they spend the next few days training to become imperial concubines. These Preparatory Concubines (who number a few from the legions of noble ladies entered for the auditions) will eventually have the portraits drawn for the Emperor, who will inspect and choose which concubines to give titles to (in an auspicious time of course). Concubines not chosen may be expelled, may continue to live in small residences or become maids in the palace or ladies-in-waiting.

However, my husband cancelled such selection processes for his rule as a testament of his love for me.

三千宠爱在一身!
ImSoFreaknSorry
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 5:55 am

Wikipedia wrote:
ImSoFreaknSorry wrote:I don't get it either, but I'd love to be trained by either YG or SM, like only be trained, not to become an idol or sth, I feel like they know how to teach people how to sing and dance and stuff

I honestly don't think so. Yoona trained for 7 years yet she still sucks. Bom had Big Mama (or another famous vocalist) as her teacher yet her technique was never corrected during training. Suho trained or 7 years yet it doesn't really show in his singing. He can sing fine but it's a bit disappointing. You get the idea...

do you mean singing in the right technique?
I thought they would get teached that...

Yoona sucks because her voice is not appealing and she doesn't even try hard...

aww man, I guess then it really shows who's actually talented

Lily_21
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 6:40 am

Partly I think it's good, and partly not. I mean, it's a good thing they train, so they know what to do and stuff. Also, it's a good way to know that the artist really wants it, and isn't just a spoiled kid who's father has bought them into music bisnes (*cough* Paris Hilton *cough*). However, I don't think it's good when they train so much, so long and so young. It would be better if the trainees would be a little older, and entertainments would choose only those that they know will surely debut or at least tell them soon, and that the training time would be shorter.

Yaayanee
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 6:41 am

Maximum 3 years training. And 75% of that should be actually music-related training and not mostly how-tos for variety, acting, or modeling. They should really commit to having their future to-be-members get to know each extensively and train together instead of picking up new peeps all the time that may not mesh well with the group overall.

95% of the recruiting should be for talented peeps not random street scouting (looking at you SM and CCM)! Scout at auditions of course, talent shows, music performances/events (be it singing/rapping, dancing, etc.), etc.

DON'T PICK UP TRAINEES WHO OBVIOUSLY AUDITIONED TO BE AN ACTOR/MC/MODEL, etc. For fucks sake, just train those who's actually competent in music to be your group's actor/MC/model - what the fuck is the point in letting in a person who wants to act in a music group? You can just train the talented music peeps to act. I swear, there's like 10% actually DECENT (not necessarily great) idol actors/actresses, the rest of them are just embarrassing. You can't sing/rap/dance and you can barely act and you've trained for how many years?

They should have scholarship programs or a reward system that rewards those still in school to achieve good grades. There should also be some form of compensation. Training programs should be more flexible and accommodate outside of school hours.

FFS, stop looking for just looks, it doesn't matter since they end up going under the knife anyway. Pfft.

Wikipedia
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 7:11 pm

Yaayanee wrote:Maximum 3 years training. And 75% of that should be actually music-related training and not mostly how-tos for variety, acting, or modeling. They should really commit to having their future to-be-members get to know each extensively and train together instead of picking up new peeps all the time that may not mesh well with the group overall.

95% of the recruiting should be for talented peeps not random street scouting (looking at you SM and CCM)! Scout at auditions of course, talent shows, music performances/events (be it singing/rapping, dancing, etc.), etc.

DON'T PICK UP TRAINEES WHO OBVIOUSLY AUDITIONED TO BE AN ACTOR/MC/MODEL, etc. For fucks sake, just train those who's actually competent in music to be your group's actor/MC/model - what the fuck is the point in letting in a person who wants to act in a music group? You can just train the talented music peeps to act. I swear, there's like 10% actually DECENT (not necessarily great) idol actors/actresses, the rest of them are just embarrassing. You can't sing/rap/dance and you can barely act and you've trained for how many years?

They should have scholarship programs or a reward system that rewards those still in school to achieve good grades. There should also be some form of compensation. Training programs should be more flexible and accommodate outside of school hours.

FFS, stop looking for just looks, it doesn't matter since they end up going under the knife anyway. Pfft.

I barely get the logic of K-Pop training systems. Why put an actress or actress into an idol group if acting is all that they can do? Why bother looking for good looking people when they are gonna go under the knife anyway?

While the idea of street casting is ridiculous, SM has a magical way of finding talented people. They found Seohyun, majority of EXO and I think Jonghyun and Changmin.

Yaayanee
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 7:14 pm

Wikipedia wrote:
Yaayanee wrote:Maximum 3 years training. And 75% of that should be actually music-related training and not mostly how-tos for variety, acting, or modeling. They should really commit to having their future to-be-members get to know each extensively and train together instead of picking up new peeps all the time that may not mesh well with the group overall.

I should start up a KPOP company. LOL Nah, wouldn't have the patience for that BS.

Wikipedia
Post Apr 07, 2014 @ 7:17 pm

ImSoFreaknSorry wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:

lawl. I highly doubt it since many idols suck ass at singing. Yoona sucks at singing because she can't sing. Her voice sounds a lot like other girl group members so I doubt it's unappealing to the masses. I don't know if she tries at singing or not though...

ImSoFreaknSorry
Post Apr 08, 2014 @ 11:14 am

Wikipedia wrote:
ImSoFreaknSorry wrote:
Wikipedia wrote:

lawl. I highly doubt it since many idols suck ass at singing. Yoona sucks at singing because she can't sing. Her voice sounds a lot like other girl group members so I doubt it's unappealing to the masses. I don't know if she tries at singing or not though...

I'm talking YG and SM tho and they have one of the best
Yoona's voice is just blergh, it's defo unappealing to me, I never got the masses anyway