Back to Top!

Do you find "black," "white," "brown," etc. offensive?

Relax and talk about anything in general
Poll: Do you find 'color' word offensive?
Yes [2] (3%)
No [65] (97%)
Total votes : 67
combover
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:43 pm

As in, if you're black and someone brings it up in conversation, do you correct them and say "No, I'm African-XXX" and such or prefer they did?

I have noticed some people take a lot offense to this and honestly off all the 'color' words, I feel "yellow" is really the only one which has the most negative connotations behind it. Of course this might just be where I live and some of my relatives still use the word 'colored' so maybe I'm just desensitized to the word 'black.'

Honestly, I don't find them offensive, but I'm a white person and as we cause the majority of the world's problems, we can be kind of ignorant. But sexy.

tabloholic
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:44 pm

No tbh.
It's not a derogatory term, it's a color for goodness sake.

Some people are just too sensitive.

steeze
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:45 pm

nah we love dem white girls

heedicktator
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:46 pm

combover wrote:As in, if you're black and someone brings it up in conversation, do you correct them and say "No, I'm African-XXX" and such or prefer they did?

^ LOL at anyone who still does that in this age and time

"Our dorm doesn't have a sofa." - Kim Heechul.
PhoenixVFIRE
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:47 pm

No, I don't find it offensive.

~St☆rlight~
SNSDfx4minutefan
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:50 pm

I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

rodkrann
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:52 pm

I'm supposed to be tanned/brown but I'm pale so people usually call me white

I don't find it offensive though

AFTER SCHOOL | 9MUSES | GIRLS' GENERATION | others
elfwookie51
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

no it's just a color

http://ask.fm/elfwookie51last.fm: elfwookie51
DragonFury
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:54 pm

rodkrann wrote:I'm supposed to be tanned/brown but I'm pale so people usually call me white

I don't find it offensive though

Why would you?

He who is tired of Crayon Pop is tired of life.
rananicolee
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:55 pm

As a black person, I've never felt the need to correct someone. I never saw it as offensive.

Nova_REMIX
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 1:56 pm

Who still calls people "colored?" Maybe I'm not with the times, but wasn't that term left back in the 60s?

combover
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:00 pm

Nova_REMIX wrote:Who still calls people "colored?" Maybe I'm not with the times, but wasn't that term left back in the 60s?

My immediate relatives (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) where born in the 50s and early 60s, sooo. But their younger siblings don't use it.

effex17
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:02 pm

no... I mean if someone goes
oh do you know that guy... he's tall... black hair... brown
I'd rather hear that then have them get his country wrong xD
but I find yellow to be a bit... odd lol

Nova_REMIX
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:26 pm

combover wrote:
Nova_REMIX wrote:Who still calls people "colored?" Maybe I'm not with the times, but wasn't that term left back in the 60s?

My immediate relatives (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) where born in the 50s and early 60s, sooo. But their younger siblings don't use it.

:-? So they still use it?

generic
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:31 pm

SNSDfx4minutefan wrote:I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

You look so white...