Back to Top!

Do you find "black," "white," "brown," etc. offensive?

Relax and talk about anything in general
Poll: Do you find 'color' word offensive?
Yes [2] (3%)
No [65] (97%)
Total votes : 67
Truekma
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:34 pm

no - in fact, my asian friends all called themselves yellow. Every single one of them : S When they would compare themselves to my skin, they would always say "Oh, I'm yellow and you are sooo white!" - they even said this when they were nearing my skin colour, only they had yellow undertones.

I wouldn't personally say it, but if they say it then w/e. I don't care if someone calls me white, and it's always been fine to call someone brown or black here, eh~

#SHAMEXO
SNSDfx4minutefan
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 2:36 pm

generic wrote:
SNSDfx4minutefan wrote:I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

You look so white...

It's because my mom's family comes directly from Spain. They are almost all pale there. You saw my selca didn't chuuu XD
I always get called white...it's not offensive but I do get tired of always saying "I'm not white....I'm Mexican" and then feeling the awkward silence that soon follows XD

thekpoptruthman
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 3:18 pm

combover wrote:As in, if you're black and someone brings it up in conversation, do you correct them and say "No, I'm African-XXX" and such or prefer they did?

I have noticed some people take a lot offense to this and honestly off all the 'color' words, I feel "yellow" is really the only one which has the most negative connotations behind it. Of course this might just be where I live and some of my relatives still use the word 'colored' so maybe I'm just desensitized to the word 'black.'

Honestly, I don't find them offensive, but I'm a white person and as we cause the majority of the world's problems, we can be kind of ignorant. But sexy.

asian people with pale skin gets label yellow
caucasian people with pale skin gets label white even though their undertone are usually pink or orange

combover
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:34 pm

Nova_REMIX wrote:
combover wrote:
Nova_REMIX wrote:Who still calls people "colored?" Maybe I'm not with the times, but wasn't that term left back in the 60s?

My immediate relatives (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) where born in the 50s and early 60s, sooo. But their younger siblings don't use it.

:-? So they still use it?

Sometimes. Sometimes they say black, but they never mean it in a derogatory sense

IdealType
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:35 pm

No. I find the term colored offensive.

Nova_REMIX
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:38 pm

combover wrote:
Nova_REMIX wrote:
combover wrote:My immediate relatives (parents, aunts, uncles, etc.) where born in the 50s and early 60s, sooo. But their younger siblings don't use it.

:-? So they still use it?

Sometimes. Sometimes they say black, but they never mean it in a derogatory sense

Mmmk. That's kinda weird. I mean it's weird to say colored because it's not just blacks who are a part of the "POC." No disrespect to you or your relatives at all, but I feel like that term should've been left back in the 60s.

combover
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:40 pm

Nova_REMIX wrote:
combover wrote:
Nova_REMIX wrote: :-? So they still use it?

Mmmk. That's kinda weird. I mean it's weird to say colored because it's not just blacks who are a part of the "POC." No disrespect to you or your relatives at all, but I feel like that term should've been left back in the 60s.

Don't worry haha, I definitely agree with you.

skyturtle
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

No. Why would it be offensive?

epik high | girl's day
BreezyGumiho
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:44 pm

I don't find the word black offensive. I find it offensive if someone says black like it's disgusting.

ZELO'S WIFE & NUMBER ONE FAN! Princess of Babyz Breezy +Zelo=BreLo
B.A.P>>>YOUR FAVS Proud Delusional BABY
Riley
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:49 pm

SNSDfx4minutefan wrote:I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

You're secretly Asian tho.

Park JI Yoon | Tree Of Life
mentalxfiction
Post Jul 12, 2013 @ 4:54 pm

Not at all. Not many people have called me anything like that to my face but my friends and I always make fun of each other by calling each other colored. If it isn't meant to be derogatory then one shouldn't mind it.

STARLIGHT x SONE x SHAWOL x KISSME x MINE x A1ST x EXOTIC x ARMY
verticallychallenged
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 8:01 pm

Not really...

Me and my other Asian friend always make jokes about how we're brown....

I DON'T LIKE GIRLS I DON'T LIKE GIRLS I DON'T LIKE GIRLS
Krazymonkey
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

Nope, but I always feel awkward whenever I refer to someone like that in case they'll get offended or something.

Five
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

25 votes and no affirmatives.

I love this forum.

You never really understand a person until you consider things from [their] point of view
- Until you climb into [their] skin and walk around it."

- To Kill A Mockingbird
FatherSeungri
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

I've never heard someone refer to someone else as "Brown." I don't have a problem with people calling me white. Other white people I know don't care. What some people do care is when someone generalizes them as one, i.e. calling all Latinos "Mexican." Also, calling black people "African-American."