Back to Top!

Do you find "black," "white," "brown," etc. offensive?

Relax and talk about anything in general
Poll: Do you find 'color' word offensive?
Yes [2] (3%)
No [65] (97%)
Total votes : 67
SuRoRo
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:21 pm

I think calling Asians 'yellow' would be really offensive... and calling Mexicans or Hispanics 'brown' would be pretty offensive as well...

hungryforramen
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:22 pm

If you don't mean it to be offensive, it won't but if you mean to be offensive, then it will. But basically, nope.

FaceFucked
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:24 pm

i'mma whitey and i like me some brownies.

Yoonaswaifu
Post Jul 18, 2013 @ 9:27 pm

One time in tc I used the word "brown" instead of middle eastern

AND DIS KID WAS ALL
"omg thats SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO offensive wow I would never call my middle eastern friends brown"
yeah im looking at you @UpInTheSky

but no, i dont. There's nothing wrong with being a certain color >_>

thisname1
Post Jul 27, 2013 @ 11:56 am

I just see it as a way to describe how someone looks, really.
It is offensive if the person says it in a negative way, which basically all has to do with their tone.
I remember some girl on omegle said to me "wait you're white" as if it was a bad thing.
I know she was just jelly that she could never have brown hair and green eyes.

elemeniah
Post Aug 03, 2013 @ 1:21 am

I don't find any of it offensive: I call myself 'lightly toasted' since I've got an all year round tan on account of not being white but half Asian.

SHINee ~ EXO ~ U - KISS ~ Super Junior ~ Beast ~ Nu'Est ~ 2PM ~ VIXX ~ C-Clown ~ Seventeen ~ WonderBoyz
Yaayanee
Post Aug 03, 2013 @ 1:51 am

None of the colors (white, black, yellow, brown) are considered offensive. The term 'coloured' is a whole nother discussion though. But then again it all really depends on tone and the situation and if that person feels okay being referred to as a color rather than an ethnicity or whatever.

randomamanda
Post Aug 03, 2013 @ 3:25 am

I don't find it offensive unless it has ignorant or racist undertones
I've owned a crayola pack of pencils, I know my colours, and skin has colours

It shouldn't be taboo to note the colour of someone's skin.
It's a very obvious physical attribute.
However, it just shouldn't be the most important thing

wonwon
Post Aug 03, 2013 @ 3:32 am

Well people don't really call me anything but like "albino" and shit like that... which just annoys me more than anything cause its just factually incorrect... depends if people are intending it to be derogatory... but some people will always be offended

macko24
Post Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:10 pm

no. they are words used for describing ppl's outward appearance.
as soon as it is used in a context that is racist, than it can become offensive.

verticallychallenged
Post Oct 13, 2013 @ 2:14 pm

When used in direction of myself, I don't find it very offensive. People can call me whatever the fuck they want as long as they're joking. My other asian friend and I call each other yellow or brown and usual make racial slurs at each other too.

I DON'T LIKE GIRLS I DON'T LIKE GIRLS I DON'T LIKE GIRLS
UlzzangNicky
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 3:47 pm

I am personally not offended with being called "white". I can though see how it could be offensive to be called "white", "black", etc. I think black could definitely be offensive to some people because is basically the English word for nigger (Black in Spanish). I also don't understand the whole "colored" thing. To me "colored" just sounds ignorant and stupid but thats just me. Technically everyone is a different color so it makes no since especially because Caucasians are not included in the group term "color" when we do have a color which is usually like a peachy tone etc. I don't get why we are considered white because I have seen some Eastern Asians and Russians that are way "whiter" than any "white" person I know. Lol race is such a strange thing and i don't put up with racism, but something like being called "white" doesn't bother me.

littlejay
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 5:35 pm

not really i wouldn't mind someone calling me yellow cause im asian even though yellow is a nasty color.

Mister
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 5:48 pm

Growing up in the south I was taught to use the term African American at school because it was considered politically correct during that time, or it was just the south being paranoid. I generally use the term black now because I find it more politically correct since not all dark skinned people are African, and if they are, the majority in the States lost connection with their ancestral roots. Either way I have been corrected both ways before so it depends on the person.
:-?