Back to Top!

Do you find "black," "white," "brown," etc. offensive?

Relax and talk about anything in general
Poll: Do you find 'color' word offensive?
Yes [2] (3%)
No [65] (97%)
Total votes : 67
UlzzangNicky
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 5:52 pm

thekpoptruthman wrote:
combover wrote:As in, if you're black and someone brings it up in conversation, do you correct them and say "No, I'm African-XXX" and such or prefer they did?

I have noticed some people take a lot offense to this and honestly off all the 'color' words, I feel "yellow" is really the only one which has the most negative connotations behind it. Of course this might just be where I live and some of my relatives still use the word 'colored' so maybe I'm just desensitized to the word 'black.'

Honestly, I don't find them offensive, but I'm a white person and as we cause the majority of the world's problems, we can be kind of ignorant. But sexy.

asian people with pale skin gets label yellow
caucasian people with pale skin gets label white even though their undertone are usually pink or orange

All of my "white" friends have yellow undertones so I don't get the color labeling thing although its not really offensive except for black which I have heard some people say that it is offensive. I don't get the African-whateveryoumaybe term though because not all Africans have darker skin tones. Idek race is so complicating lol.

ninaxbj
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 8:03 pm

No. Even though I identify with black most of the time. I think African American is more off than 'black' bc first of all we don't call white people European American bc of their ancestors lol why are black people called African American then(something white people made up)? African American to me are people who are 1st generation African that come to antic at live lol &Wtf is brown , is that even a legit race?

SHINee+Afterschool*3Jbiased Jackson-Jonghyun-JonginMagical girl~ (´ω`)

Yaayanee
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 8:46 pm

ninaxbj wrote:No. Even though I identify with black most of the time. I think African American is more off than 'black' bc first of all we don't call white people European American bc of their ancestors lol why are black people called African American then(something white people made up)? African American to me are people who are 1st generation African that come to antic at live lol &Wtf is brown , is that even a legit race?

Brown is for South Asians (Indian, Bengalese, Nepalese, etc.), Middle Easterners (West Asians), and Hispanics/Latinos.

Red is for Native Americans/Aboriginals. So much color talk. XD

UlzzangNicky wrote:I am personally not offended with being called "white". I can though see how it could be offensive to be called "white", "black", etc. I think black could definitely be offensive to some people because is basically the English word for nigger (Black in Spanish). I also don't understand the whole "colored" thing. To me "colored" just sounds ignorant and stupid but thats just me. Technically everyone is a different color so it makes no since especially because Caucasians are not included in the group term "color" when we do have a color which is usually like a peachy tone etc. I don't get why we are considered white because I have seen some Eastern Asians and Russians that are way "whiter" than any "white" person I know. Lol race is such a strange thing and i don't put up with racism, but something like being called "white" doesn't bother me.

Nooooo. LOL Negro(a) means black in Spanish NOT nigger, that's just a really offensive racial slur. Totally different.

SugarShapley
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:00 pm

SNSDfx4minutefan wrote:I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

Umm but aren't mexicans mostly descendants of white and/or natives? How is that offensive? I don't even understand how Latino is considered its own race really, tbh until recently I thought that it's just a term for people from countries where they speak a language that derived from latin..... I mean Southern European people are tan and dark-haired for the most part, too, and they're still considered white. If I think brown I think of Indian people maybe just cause they're Asian and dark but if you say asian, people will think of East Asian, and if you say black, people are gonna think of African descent so it's kinda confusing there.

Yeah sorry for randomly quoting you just to ramble about this lol.

Noona
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:21 pm

I of course don't get offended by being called white and any caucasian that does should be slapped.
I find most black people don't care to be called black. I've heard one say "I'M NOT FROM AFRICA. I'M NOT AFRICAN AMERICAN. I'M BLACK!" Other colors though like yellow and maybe even brown I can see someone finding offensive.

:^)
Yaayanee
Post Jan 30, 2014 @ 9:26 pm

SugarShapley wrote:
SNSDfx4minutefan wrote:I don't find it offensive when someone calls me brown instead of Mexican. It's just a color lol.
I do get kinda sad when people say I'm white. Guise...It's not my fault i'm pale

Umm but aren't mexicans mostly descendants of white and/or natives? How is that offensive? I don't even understand how Latino is considered its own race really, tbh until recently I thought that it's just a term for people from countries where they speak a language that derived from latin..... I mean Southern European people are tan and dark-haired for the most part, too, and they're still considered white. If I think brown I think of Indian people maybe just cause they're Asian and dark but if you say asian, people will think of East Asian, and if you say black, people are gonna think of African descent so it's kinda confusing there.

Yeah sorry for randomly quoting you just to ramble about this lol.

In the US, Hispanics and Latinos are legally seen as a 'ethnicity' not a race, but that's even more incorrect...LOL