Back to Top!

Isn't it serendipitous that 2013 was the year of the selfie/selca?

Relax and talk about anything in general
Page 1 of 1
littlejay
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

2013 - Kpopselca launches.

Why 2013 was the year of the selfie
The self-portrait allows you to take control of your own image dominated 2013. It was Oxford Dictionary’s word of the year and even the Pope took one. Here’s why the selfie is so culturally relevant. NBC’s Jenna Wolfe reports.
http://www.nbcnews.com/video/nightly-news/53939212

2013 was the year of the selfie. Here’s why
Selfies are all about self-expression — for better or worse.
http://www.thestar.com/news/insight/201 ... s_why.html

Selfie named word of the year for 2013
Selfies are all about self-expression — for better or worse.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/11/19/living/se ... -the-year/

Go easy on the selfies
Yes, "selfie" is the word of the year for 2013. And selfies can be fun to look at when the person is 1. wearing a costume, 2. with a celebrity or 3. standing in front of the Eiffel Tower.
Preferably all three at once.
But we don't really need to see you in front of your bathroom mirror, making a duck face. By its nature, social media is already narcissistic enough.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/12/31/tech/soci ... ?hpt=hp_t1

Geseki
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:29 pm

Isn't that the complete opposite of irony?

Official Clara Lee thread: post690277.html#p690277
littlejay
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:31 pm

Geseki wrote:Isn't that the complete opposite of irony?

what the opposite of irony?

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:37 pm

littlejay
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:41 pm

happy_green_tea wrote:

yeah thats how i learn the word ironic. Did i use it correctly or not?

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:55 pm

littlejay wrote:yeah thats how i learn the word ironic. Did i use it correctly or not?

Technically no that's not the correct usage, but I posted Alanis because irony is rarely used properly and most people don't care.

littlejay
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 7:59 pm

happy_green_tea wrote:
littlejay wrote:yeah thats how i learn the word ironic. Did i use it correctly or not?

Technically no that's not the correct usage, but I posted Alanis because irony is rarely used properly and most people don't care.

ok then what word should i use instead of ironic?

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 8:03 pm

littlejay wrote:
happy_green_tea wrote:

serendipitous?

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

littlejay wrote:
happy_green_tea wrote:

I don't think it really matters. Everyone understands what you meant when you said ironic.

God damn it! I meant to edit my last post and now I have to edit this one... It's New Years and I'm drinking...

littlejay
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 8:05 pm

happy_green_tea wrote:
littlejay wrote:
happy_green_tea wrote:Technically no that's not the correct usage, but I posted Alanis because irony is rarely used properly and most people don't care.

I don't think it really matters. Everyone understands what you meant when you said ironic.

ok i fixed the title. Now everyone will think I graduated Harvard.

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 8:09 pm

littlejay wrote:
happy_green_tea wrote:
littlejay wrote:ok then what word should i use instead of ironic?

ok i fixed the title. Now everyone will think I graduated Harvard.

@littlejay, you are one of my favorite people on this forum. You are a mean and creepy, but ultimately funny and wonderful person. I was even considering posting a note to you on that "write a note to another user" thread, but I didn't.

happy_green_tea
Post Dec 31, 2013 @ 10:57 pm

Notice that you replace "ironic" with "serendipitous" and no one want to comment. This is why I'm all for common usage rather than official.

Page 1 of 1