Back to Top!

Sometimes I regret being interested in Korea

Relax and talk about anything in general
J-Arc
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:38 am

I used to imagine what it would be like if I were a foreign idol/actor active in Korea

Then I see things like this and think to myself "yea I'll just stay in Canada and become an accountant"



kpopfanatic93
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:42 am

1) racism/prejudice is everywhere
2) Yes.....I'm canadian *high-five*
3) They talked about black males in Korea but what about black females? how are black females treated or viewed in Korea?



Block B, EXO,U-KISS Dongho you will be missed,TINY-G,Crayon Pop,2EYES,SPICA,9muses,Rainbow,100%,BIGBANG
Yoo Jiae,Ailee, IU, and2NE1 + SNSD =SONEJACK 4 Ever[/center][/size]
seiwei
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:13 am

Danie_Chou wrote:
seiwei wrote:You can enjoy Korean music, fashion, and most of their social culture. "Loving Korea" is a very very broad statement that needs to be broken down more.


what is loving a country in your opinion then ?
for me I love Korea coz not only I'm interested in their culture, food, history, belief, music, language, lifestyle but I also try to understand them and learn about both their good and bad sides


I guess I just wish for people to say "I love Korean food" or "I love how Koreans respect their elders" rather than "I love Korea." It sounds Koreaboo-ish if you just say "I love Korea," and I am still refusing to believe that the Koreaboo phase has gotten as big as the weeaboo phenomenon. And I don't want to even like to bring up the word "Koreaboo" because it prevents us all from having comfortably having a conversation about the music we love.

What is "loving a country"? I love the countries I was raised in because they made me into who I am. I'm Malaysian, but hate the Malaysian government, their poor education system, their lack of respect for the rest of the world and their uncooperative attitude in helping me find a job. I love my country, but I am trying to get rid of my Malaysian citizenship as fast as I can. So loving a country is purely nationalistic to me. And Korea...maybe it's the fact that if Korea was a person, it would be a very messed-up individual due to all the abuse it's been inflicted over the years.
I have no problems saying "I love Korean food" and "I love learning the Japanese language." That's what I mean when I say "Loving Korea" needs to be broken down more. Saying "I love Korea!" when you've never set foot there sounds almost ignorant.
Here's an example: If someone tells you "Oh I love France, it's so beautiful!" when they've only spent a romantic weekend in Paris with their high school sweetheart, you might feel pride as a French. You know they meant they love how France looked, and how friendly everyone was, and how the food was delicious. But if someone says "I really love the song Sad Day by KYO, it's so much better than American music! And I only buy French clothes because it's the best quality. I love France!!!!!" ...do you not cringe?

Hmm...I'm probably talking in circles right now.

Bromiscuous
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:17 am

Amor wrote:I wanna know what are the stereotypes of Hispanics in Korea lol

It sucks though, but it happens in any places


they probably have no idea what they are and would probably group them together with south east-asians/indians


SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:02 pm

yoonrikai wrote:Non koreans have virtually no presence in South Korea whatsoever, most of the foreign demographics are of other asians.
The majority of koreans will probably never have any real interactions with non koreans or non asians in their entire life.
This is to be expected...


That's not true, there's a huge non-Korean population in Seoul... and they tend to be more concentrated like Itaewon so... but even outside of those areas you see some foreigners and Koreans are quite aware of that...


kurumi
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

i couldnt care less what native koreans think of foreigners, listening to korean music and watching korean shows doesnt mean i have to care about koreans think about foreigners.


u-gay
Kanonno
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:04 pm

It sucks that people like that everywhere.



SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:27 pm

seiwei wrote:
I hear they're going to stop funding EPIK in three years, so no more ESL teachers as well ><


yoonrikai wrote:foreign english teachers


But Simon and Martina first went to Korea as ESL teachers, but stayed all these 5 years for other reasons... I highly doubt those 'esl teachers' go to Korea for the SAKE of teaching english, but rather as an excuse to go to Korea. Heck, I'd want to go to Korea with the excuse of teaching English... then I could go there with free housing. But teaching english wouldn't be the only reason I'd want to go there, I've just always wanted to go to Korea of course. I'm sure Simon and Martina and the majority of those 'teachers' feel the same.

So "seiwei" I don't know what 'EPIK' is but if they really do stop funding it, then people will still go to Korea for other reasons if they are interested, except they won't have free housing this time! I'd probably just stay at a friend's house or something because I have some friends there who go to university in Korea.
.


zicoboo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:37 pm


The stuff that they said happens everywhere. Racism is in every country, if you're going to regret being interested in a country because of that you may as well not care about any country at all. Besides, Korea hasn't had much exposure to foreigners so of course there's going to be stereotypes of people based on the little knowledge they have of other people and cultures.


thisname1
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:43 pm

"Riding the white horse" was hilarious XD
Oh, and I just have a little anecdote about the whole misunderstanding of black skin. I think it was Korea that my friend's dad went to. I know he's been to Japan, but I feel like I heard that he went to Korea, too... Either way, somewhere in East Asia, he had people wanting to touch his skin and asking him if he was dirty, so yeah, I think it's pretty common to have people do that.


nugu
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 8:50 pm

I been feeling like this for a while too.


SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

J-Arc wrote:I used to imagine what it would be like if I were a foreign idol/actor active in Korea

Then I see things like this and think to myself "yea I'll just stay in Canada and become an accountant"



But there are foreign members in KPop groups, like in 2PM, Exo, Miss A, F(x), and there was a japnese member in that group i forgot, and a French member debuting in The Gloss, a new KPop group. The latter is under a new label called MGMC and their goal is to make more international groups.


yoonrikai
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:23 pm

SuRoRo wrote:
J-Arc wrote:I used to imagine what it would be like if I were a foreign idol/actor active in Korea

Then I see things like this and think to myself "yea I'll just stay in Canada and become an accountant"



But there are foreign members in KPop groups, like in 2PM Thai (asian), Exo Chinese (asian), Miss A Chinese (asian), F(x) Chinese and Taiwanese (asian), and there was a japnese member in that group i forgot There are several japanese members in nugu groups that never make it anywhere, and a French member debuting in The Gloss An international pop group trying to debut in korea, not going to make it, (blush is also like gloss, no ones heard of them ever), a new KPop group. The latter is under a new label called MGMC and their goal is to make more international groups.




SuRoRo wrote:
yoonrikai wrote:Non koreans have virtually no presence in South Korea whatsoever, most of the foreign demographics are of other asians.
The majority of koreans will probably never have any real interactions with non koreans or non asians in their entire life.
This is to be expected...


That's not true, there's a huge non-Korean population in Seoul... and they tend to be more concentrated like Itaewon so... but even outside of those areas you see some foreigners and Koreans are quite aware of that...


Read my second comment on the other page