Back to Top!

Sometimes I regret being interested in Korea

Relax and talk about anything in general
SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:28 pm

yoonrikai wrote:Read my second comment on the other page

Read my second comment on the previous page.

yoonrikai
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:32 pm

SuRoRo wrote:
yoonrikai wrote:Read my second comment on the other page

Read my second comment on the previous page.

what about it? You're talking about expats taking advantage of the english teaching program, something i already know...

seiwei
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

SuRoRo wrote:
seiwei wrote:
I hear they're going to stop funding EPIK in three years, so no more ESL teachers as well ><

yoonrikai wrote:foreign english teachers

But Simon and Martina first went to Korea as ESL teachers, but stayed all these 5 years for other reasons... I highly doubt those 'esl teachers' go to Korea for the SAKE of teaching english, but rather as an excuse to go to Korea. Heck, I'd want to go to Korea with the excuse of teaching English... then I could go there with free housing. But teaching english wouldn't be the only reason I'd want to go there, I've just always wanted to go to Korea of course. I'm sure Simon and Martina and the majority of those 'teachers' feel the same.

So "seiwei" I don't know what 'EPIK' is but if they really do stop funding it, then people will still go to Korea for other reasons if they are interested, except they won't have free housing this time! I'd probably just stay at a friend's house or something because I have some friends there who go to university in Korea.

Mmmm...most people who do ESL in Korea have no background in Korean language and culture whatsoever, but go over there because it's an easy 40K where they provide lodging, transportation, a stipend for food, and some programs even provide the TESOL classes. And all they have to do is basically stand in front of a class and repeat the same sentence over and over until the kids get their pronunciation right. Of course you have a few people who were genuinely interested in the culture before going over, but teaching in Korea was advertised in every circle anywhere. Of course there's ESL everywhere, but the Korean ESL programs are really some of the best in the world and very easy to get into. I've had friends teach in Japan, Thailand, and China, but they loved the Korean programs the best. The EPIK program is the easiest way to teach English in Korean public schools, but is also government funded and they're going to be cutting the funding for EPIK in three years. My friends over there are constantly reminding me of the fact and telling me to come over quickly...but I don't have my American citizenship yet so I can't. I really want to do their couples program and go over with my BF.
Teaching in Korea was the cool thing to do. Now all the hipsters are going over to China to teach English there.
So no, contrary to your belief, many people go over to Korea to teach English with usually no interest in Korea other than the food they'd had at a Korean restaurant in their hometown. Simon and Martina are an exception: there are people who love the country they are staying in, and some who want to end their contracts asap. My friend doing JET in Japan is still there after 6 years; I don't think he's ever coming back to the States...but I myself would hate to live in Japan for that long.

Mikhayy2
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 9:41 pm

This will all change when they meet me.

SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 10:50 pm

yoonrikai wrote:what about it? You're talking about expats taking advantage of the english teaching program, something i already know...

sorry for my delay in response... I got that 'Website is unreachable' error... wonder who else has that problem?? very annoying as i've lost my train of thought, anyway...

So, you're trying to say some foreigners in Korea don't count as foreigners because they're english teachers? Baffled. Also, foreigners in Korea might live in concentrated places such as Itaewon (which is not a cesspoll btw) but those places are in fact very popular hangout places for native Koreans as well.

Ask yourself: Who are you and what is your relation to Korea?

SuRoRo
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:09 pm

seiwei wrote: My friend doing JET in Japan is still there after 6 years; I don't think he's ever coming back to the States...but I myself would hate to live in Japan for that long.

I don't know why you'd say you wouldn't want to live in Japan long term. There are many people who go over to Korea and Japan for another reason and stay long-term because they love it there. And like I said, there are many who go over there with the excuse for teaching just because they want an easy way to get there. Seriously, wouldn't that be awesome??

And yes, the racial demographics of Korea and Japan are very homogeneous. 97.25% of the population in SK is Korean. 98.5% of Japan is Japanese. So of course they'd be more prone to racial ignorance. But I don't think that's a reason to really judge a country without going there first. There's nothing wrong with being interested in a country despite its flaws which I can totally overlook, because for me, there are just way more positives.

ennexD
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:13 pm

pihh, that's nothing...u should see stereotypes 'bout them in my country...now that's comparable to nazism, trust me...which is sad T.T

yoonrikai
Post Jun 26, 2013 @ 11:17 pm

SuRoRo wrote:
yoonrikai wrote:what about it? You're talking about expats taking advantage of the english teaching program, something i already know...

sorry for my delay in response... I got that 'Website is unreachable' error... wonder who else has that problem?? very annoying as i've lost my train of thought, anyway...

So, you're trying to say some foreigners in Korea don't count as foreigners because they're english teachers? Baffled. Also, foreigners in Korea might live in concentrated places such as Itaewon (which is not a cesspoll btw) but those places are in fact very popular hangout places for native Koreans as well.

Ask yourself: Who are you and what is your relation to Korea?

I swear to god, some people just do not know how to read.
Just reread every one of my comments on here, i can't be bothered with this... if you can't even comprehend basic english sentences