Back to Top!

Relax and talk about anything in general
Hongbin_Swaggy
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 6:34 am

I agree with him completely. Thats why as a new kpop fan myself, the fandom seems weird as fuck. The way that idols are put on this pedestal like theyre some nonhuman entity. Some weird shit XD

Nova_REMIX
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 6:35 am

Kinda gives me chills because this person hit the nail on the head. The Hallyu Wave is so glorified, that we've become disillusioned and the companies feed off of that illusion. Some people, especially international fans ACTUALLY think that what's going down in dramas is how Korea is in real life, and so if they're persistent enough to get to Korea, they have such a huge culture shock because everything is now how they wanted it.

Idols are hated. Actors and actresses (some most haven't even heard of) are glorified. The ballads are praised and electric songs are kinda looked down upon. Idols that you thought were super popular aren't all that popular inside Korea at all. It's just...kinda...well, it's kinda like the whole quote, "Ignorance is bliss."

I like this post. And that one asshole who down-voted either did it to troll, or just because they don't like the truth.

BuYong
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:16 am

There is a dark side to it but honestly, not everyone gets influenced like that and not everyone thinks korean boys are so beautiful.
When it comes to attractiveness kpop only made me want to look better and now i actually care about my face and i don't wanna look like a potato all the time.
I like to think I'm not that shallow to choose my bias as if he/shes a doll like the op said. I chose my bias based on talent and personality.
In my case kpop has influenced me only in a positive way.. I was depressed when i started listening to kpop and it helped me stay "entertained" i suppose.
People forget that these idols actually have personalities and talents besides their looks.
I don't know if they all look the same because not all of them have gotten ps, i know a big amount had at least one thing done.

But i do agree there are people who delude themselves into thinking Korea is like that.. I just feel sad for them.

Aquila1618
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:29 am

I agree. I mean, having a bias is fine and all, but becoming obsessed with them and literally becoming depressed over why you can't have them irl is a bit ridiculous yet so many fans do these things. Another thing I'd like to say is that... Me personally? I fucking love Korea. If I had a chance to go to any country there is quite a high chance I will choose Korea. BUT I'm not going to expect it to be a perfect country where everyone is attractive and live happily ever after. No. There is no place in the world like that (unfortunately lol). I think if I keep typing this will go on to be a lecture about life so I will stop it here. Lol. ^_^*

Hongbin_Swaggy
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 7:30 am

BuYong wrote:There is a dark side to it but honestly, not everyone gets influenced like that and not everyone thinks korean boys are so beautiful.
When it comes to attractiveness kpop only made me want to look better and now i actually care about my face and i don't wanna look like a potato all the time.
I like to think I'm not that shallow to choose my bias as if he/shes a doll like the op said. I chose my bias based on talent and personality.
In my case kpop has influenced me only in a positive way.. I was depressed when i started listening to kpop and it helped me stay "entertained" i suppose.
People forget that these idols actually have personalities and talents besides their looks.
I don't know if they all look the same because not all of them have gotten ps, i know a big amount had at least one thing done.

But i do agree there are people who delude themselves into thinking Korea is like that.. I just feel sad for them.

I feel ya on that. Listening to kpop did a lot of positive things for me to. Helped improve my outlook on life actually XD

BuYong
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:16 am

Danie_Chou wrote:@BuYong of course everything has it good and bad sides and kpop is not an exception
myself since I like kpop I got interested in dancing, learned a lot of moves and I know more about east asian culture too
but here I talking about the way idols are exploited to realize some kind of fantasy we all have, like they're human beings,
and I feel like it's something every kpop fans need to be aware of, regardless the way they treat idols
just to know why they love kpop so much and to not go crazy for things they don't fully understand

The thing is.. companies actually want that. They want people to fantasize and they want them to perceive this 'perfect' image.
The idols sign up to this when they decide to debut.. only fans need to actually have a personality and learn to make a difference between fantasy and reality. Making fans go crazy like this is actually their promotional strategy.. look at all these hyped groups: EXO, Suju, TVXQ.
So yea.. people who get influenced like that by pretty boys and girls need a personality asap.

lillian23910
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 9:55 am

The part about them constantly changing clothes and concepts like a doll is interesting. But when I think about an "idol" the word fake immedietly comes to mind. But I don't see fake as necessary being a bad thing. They all just have personnas when they go on stage, but the thing with Korean idols is that their always on stage.

Hence why they all act like their single, perfect beings that exist just for you and your desires. That's a bit much. They also have desires, needs, wants, their own distinct personality that comes with flaws, etc.

PhoenixVFIRE
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 10:04 am

IMO, that only applies to fans who've truly gone off the deep end though....IE Sasaeng fans(they are REAL fans, who've gone WAYYYY too far) I'm pretty sure none of us here are like that, so I don't really give a crap about the article lol.

~St☆rlight~
damianb
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 10:38 am

Thankfully not everyone is cut from the same cloth.
To me kpop is just pop music. That's it. I'm not idolizing or putting anyone on the pedestal because that's absurd to me.
Some fans need to realize that their oppas or noons do not give a fuck about them, to them fans are only a source of income. Period. End of story.
Sure everyone likes to have their favorite singers in and outside of kpop and there's nothing wrong with that. But some fans are in a league of their own.
I find it funny how some kpop fans complain about fans of One Direction, Selena Gomez, Bieber, Miley, Taylor, GaGa, Demi etc.. meanwhile they are no different than the people they're complaining about.
There's nothing wrong with supporting the person you're a fan of by purchasing their merchandise,but there have to be certain boundaries when it comes to support and some fans have crossed those boundaries a long long time ago.
Some of the idols in the industry are scared for their lives because of those stupid sasaengs and some of them ( the idols ) are so controlled by their companies that they must release some bullshit statements about the 'support' they receive from sasaengs like EXO did.
I've been a fan of this genre of music since the summer of 2011 and I've came across many different fans of it, but I will never ever understand why some of them think that just because you like the music you have to like the country of its origin. What's up with that ?
Also IMO the reason why cosmetic procedures in Korea are so popular is because of the entertainment business because Koreans have this weird thing about perfection and what's ideal. No wonder so many men and women are willing to go under the knife in order to change their appearance and be accepted by the society.
I'm also kinda glad that blogs and vlogs like the one that Eat Your Kimchi does exist. Even though people seem to hate them for some weird reason , and even though that they're not native Koreans they live in Korea and probably know more about what the hell is going on there more than people who lives thousands of miles away and act like they know everything about the place that they have probably never even been to.
So in a way EYK is breaking this perception of perfection that some people think that the entertainment industry in Korea has,and that's all I have to say about this subject.

Pitu-chan
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:01 am

Well I think that it all depends of the person for example when I say my bias I only think that I like how they sing or they are funny not that they are a doll I want so I think that was extreme and I'm sure most of us know that kpop or Korea is Wonderland were our dreams come true and sure with friends we make jokes that we are going to get married to our bias and have babies but is not like we really are going to Korea and do it so yeah I think it depends of the person after all not all of us are like that

kpopfanatic93
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 11:30 am

I don't have an ultimate bias list * However I do have an ultimate group ( SONEJACK 4 ever~ If you did not already know) because......who the hell has time to put that shit together?
Yes I freak the fuck out of seeing my faves ( i.e Kai) but I don't think he's perfect or put him on some pedistool, or shrine and worship him...heck I don't REALLY know him, other than what's presented to me on variety shows and such. His personality may be COMPLETELY different from what I am able to see behind the twinkly lights, and music show stages - I'm sure all of k-idols personalities are different from what we see~ even with those MTV diaries they are putting on a show, or give us an illusion of what they are supposed to be like all the time.

I don;' feel this represents me since I do consider myself a sane fan and I'm not crazy as much as sasaengs for instance, who take kpop idols WAY too fucking seriously. And for K-dramas, not everyone is going to think that every guy/or girl in Korea is like in the dramas, however they do give a false illusion that they are. I'm sure no k-idol is really going to have our biracial babies. LOL

Block B, EXO,U-KISS Dongho you will be missed,TINY-G,Crayon Pop,2EYES,SPICA,9muses,Rainbow,100%,BIGBANG
Yoo Jiae,Ailee, IU, and2NE1 + SNSD =SONEJACK 4 Ever[/center][/size]
Craykyungce
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:28 pm

Interesting article/comment. I kind of agree with it.

For me, kpop is pop music. It makes me jam, it makes me happy and it stays in my head, that's all pretty much it. But the reason why I love the kpop scene and the idols is because, in a sense, there's an escapism there. Wether you think it's a good thing or not, most humans want to escape reality sometimes, they want to see "fakeness" and "perfectness", even when they're not conscious of it. That's why we have movies, that's why we have books- so we can't escape and immerse ourselves into an illusion.
To me that's what the Idols and the kpop scene is. Great entertainment, makes me laugh, makes me dance, makes me admire the beautiful (created) images of other human beings entertaining me. I know that what I see isn't really what's there. I know about images, I know about differenciating between reality and illusions. But the sad thing is that many people don't. These people get too attached to the images, they get too influenced and they feel the need to make it a reality, or they just simply believe it to be reality. That's why there are sasaengs, that's why there are people defending their bias no matter what, that's why there are people thinking that their bias really "loves" them and that they can somehow invade in the human-being-behind-the-idol's life. This is also why some poeple look for a mate that looks like their fave idol or people that find everybody else ugly or average. Because they got too much into the illusion and they let kpop influence their standards.

/¡\ Crayon Pop / VIXX \ BYG/ Nine Muses \ SKarf / Block B \ Beyoncé / EXO \ Tiny G / BTS \!/
toradora101
Post Oct 30, 2013 @ 12:44 pm

I feel like people in general rely on media too much.And thats where they get there idea of a country is like.

Like in Asia N. Americans,they think were easy because we are touchy feely as a society.
But than some people actually think Korea is like how the media portrays it.

So it goes both ways.