Back to Top!

Do you agree with Ivy's 'harsh' comment?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
Poll: Do you agree with Ivy's comment?
Yes [20] (53%)
No [1] (3%)
To an extent [17] (45%)
Total votes : 38
Tragedy
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:23 pm

here's an extract of what ivy said in an interview quite a while ago when addressing her industry 'hoobaes':

"Whenever I see someone who can’t sing become a singer, I feel like they only became a singer because they want to be a celebrity. If you can sing well, then be a singer. If you can't, don’t."

first of all, i'd like to say... BURN.

that comment can be applied to so many idols in the industry. it seems like a standard rule, right? in order to be a singer, you have to be able to... well, sing. when people audition without any vocal talent and pass, it's either because of their talent in other fields (such as dancing) or because of their visual quality. an idol can be a terrible/weak vocalist, but still bring attention/popularity to themselves and their group by using their popularity as an idol to branch out to other fields such as acting. i think what ivy is getting at is that it seems that many idols simply 'become singers' because they are interested in being a celebrity and the perks that come with it. therefore, if they have no talent in singing, then they should just become actors/models instead of an idol singer.

what do you think about this?

♡ Lee Kaeun - August 20, 1994. ♡
[After School|9Muses|Wonder Girls|Ladies' Code|Hello Venus|EXID|Spica|D-Unit|Girl's Day]
lokiheart
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:24 pm

I agree with her a 100%.

People who can't sing just take the place of those who can.

misowwird
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

true, but not completely, some wants to be a singer because its their dream to perform

Tbh i wanna be a singer but i cant sing lol, so not even gonna try, its just stupid

minkwon2
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:25 pm

Honestly I feel the same. I'm sure there is good looking people out there who can also sing, so I don't even understand why kpop groups have visuals that can't do anything.

Now if you're a dancer thats fine imo, but if you can't sing or dance than please just don't try.

Quiet
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

I agree completely.
People who don't have any musical/vocal talent are ruining the industry in Korea.
It is upsetting to say the least

아이유~윤하~에이핑크~인피니트~ナノ
Bromiscuous
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 1:35 pm

Meh i somewhat agree, i think theres room for both but the ratio must always be heavily in favor of those who can sing.
About the audition bit, a lot of trainees get a pass because they are goodlooking because the company can teach them the skills they need. Its just some people have a glass ceiling when it comes to such things, i mean jonghyun was street casted but nobody complains when the casting/training works out positively. A lot of the less talented idols (atleast in my bias groups) are:
a) aware they are not very good.
b) work there ass off to atleast improve.
so i think aslong as someone works hard and tries to improve then they're really in it (in part atleast) to be performers.
also majority of singers/idols (talented or not) are in it for the fame too.

bzz
Post Jul 04, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

but it's a loss of mankind if Yoona didn't debut in SNSD

Wikipedia
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 1:55 am

I see where she's coming from but I don't think any "talentless" would do it for the fame at least if they did, it would be uncommon. Yes, fame sounds great but there's so much more to it. You have to keep your image, you have to work for ages, you can be put in a group you don't get along with etc. There are so many things that can go wrong so fame can't be the only reason.

Some get in through their dancing so they're let off thee hook. Then there's actors and actress that end up in idol groups regardless of wanting to do acting.

SNSD I 2NE1 I INFINITE I EXO I SHINee I T♔ARA I 2PM I Hyoyeon I CL I Sungyeol I D.O. I Jonghyun I Hyomin I Wooyoung
FreakyDeakyMonster
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 2:00 am

I agree with her totally. Singers are supossed to sing,not just to act pretty or things like that. -.-

BuYong
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 2:09 am

I agree, but there are people who want to be idols because they can rap or they can dance;

Calannie
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 2:18 am

Ivy is just another female I don't listen to musically sooo. Whatevs. lol
Personally I like a good singer.. but I like a good dancer too. To each his own.

eggies
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 2:24 am

Personally I want to agree bcs I myself always see singing skill before choosing a bias, but after observing Kpop, it seems that it's not that simple, Idols are not singers, idols are performers. Singing is one of the elements of the performance.

There are 3 main elements of Kpop performance nowadays which are, singing, dancing, and rapping. If someone want to be a successful idol, companies expect them to be qualified at least in 2 of the elements and people with superb skill in some elements usually titled with, "main vocal" or "main dancer" or "rapper".

Her comments arent wrong since I'm not naively thinking that every idols are passionate about music or performing, but we can't generalize because there are also idols who have a deep passion for it and not only for the popularity..

Kyuhyun - Kang Min Kyung - Jessica - Hyorin - Onew - Leo - IU
Yaayanee
Post Jul 05, 2013 @ 6:59 am

I agree with her completely.

Also some of you are misunderstanding her point, she never said that you need to learn how to only sing, but at least be good in your forte (in this case as an idol, either be good at singing, dancing, or rapping). And the argument that 'people have dreams of being a singer, but can't sing' makes absolutely no sense. How can you want to have a dream career of something, if you don't have any interest or talent in it? It's like saying, 'I want to become an artist, even though I can't draw, paint, photograph, sculpt, etc. etc.' - like how do you know you want to become an artist if you don't even know how to do any of it?