Back to Top!

Does anyone know why f(x) doesn't promote in China?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
The_Real_Ipdakchyuh
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:14 am

They have 2 Chinese members, but why is EXO the only group pushed into the Mandarin market (besides SuJu-M)?
Wasn't the point of having 2 ethnically different members to expand SM's market?

I wanna hear Rum Pum Pum Pum in Mandarin. Oh, the glory.

The_Real_Ipdakchyuh
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:20 am

It's been 5 minutes.

Ducky1232
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:21 am

I never thought I would see the day when one of your threads flopped

The_Real_Ipdakchyuh
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:23 am

Ducky1232 wrote:I never thought I would see the day when one of your threads flopped

This isn't AKP.

toradora101
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:24 am

Cause Chinese is hard.

The_Real_Ipdakchyuh
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:26 am

toradora101 wrote:Cause Chinese is hard.

That really does explain it.

mentalxfiction
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:26 am

toradora101 wrote:Cause Chinese is hard.

^

STARLIGHT x SONE x SHAWOL x KISSME x MINE x A1ST x EXOTIC x ARMY
noctos
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:35 am

I think Chinese language and f(x)'s type of songs wouldn't match well...it would sound really weird.

Gorjessspazzer9
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:37 am

idk they are loved there. i mean Rum Pum Pum Pum has nearly 3 million views on the Chinese version of youtube website.

CHARA
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:38 am

My best guess is that sm doesn't care about fx
Suju and exo probably make sm more money so they're probably more of a priority

Gyoshido
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:44 am

It has nothing to do with songs. Songs can be CREATED to sound good in Chinese. So that has nothing to do with it whatever moron mentioned that.

I think it more has to do with the fluency of the other 3 members in Chinese (Sulli, Krystal, Luna) and the fact SM doesn't want to push them there. Suju M doesn't do very well honestly. Hell, SM even pulled EXO-M and K together just to make EXO because they realized separating them wasn't worth the profit they were going to make.

Something most people realize is that China is hard to break into. It's VERY hard to promote. Groups even have trouble promoting in Japan and it took years before a strong Korean presence was in Japan. You also have to consider who they promote for. It's not going to be mainland china. It's going to be Hong Kong and Taiwan mostly, and even then that's just not worth the effort and money for the audience. It's simply not big enough to make their activities worth it. There are only 7million people in Hong Kong. THAT IS NOTHING. Japan has twice the amount of people AS KOREA, and therefore the market is HUGE. Plus, Japan is more accepting of Korean stuff, where as china generally rejects foreign culture as a nation.

High Skool ~ VIP ~ St☆rlight ~ Blackjack ~ Kamilia ~ Shawol ~ Aff(x)tionate ~ Dai5y ~ S♥ne ~ Aileean
♥ Han Seungyeon ♥
My last.fm
Kimochi
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:45 am

SM doesn't like F(X) obviously.

reddybee
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:51 am

SM hasn't had much success with expanding female groups and getting success if they're not their top groups like SES & SNSD. Example CSJH flopped when they first debuted in Japan and only got better by the end of 2007 & in China they flopped as well but got something like awards. f(x) didn't do so well in Japan because they weren't so hyped. I think it's because they weren't a huge hit when they debuted unlike SuJu, EXO, SNSD, SHINee & TVXQ. So maybe they don't want to take a chance with f(x) but it's pretty useless to not use Amber's & Victoria's Chinese skills

anjel5521
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 11:53 am

Perhaps they don't think F(x) is marketable enough for the Chinese market? At least not yet. They're probably just trying to work on their popularity in Korea right now to solidify a place for them in the eyes of the public, something like what SNSD has. I think only when they're satisfied with that will they expand farther out. I mean doesn't F(x) occasionally promote in Japan too? I don't think they do that well there either, so it doesn't even make sense to branch out to China when they still have Korea to focus on. Additionally, the only Chinese members they have are Victoria and Amber, and I don't even think Amber speaks Mandarin all that well. So really they'd just be pushing Victoria and I don't think that's enough to sell F(x) to China.

But I do agree with your point that their non-Korean members are there specifically for the purpose of promoting in other countries. SM has learned from Super Junior that it's better to have a set lineup from the beginning than to try adding new members later for the sole purpose of promoting overseas. Eventually they will probably have F(x) promote more in China, after their popularity in Korea is already guaranteed and they have room for extra activities. I think EXO is SM's new guinea pig and they are going to learn everything they need to about promoting in China from them. So in that respect they don't really need to test the waters with F(x) until they're fully sure they know how to navigate them successfully.

EXO · Sekai · Xiuhan · Baekyeol
Gyoshido
Post Jul 24, 2013 @ 12:00 pm

anjel5521 wrote:Perhaps they don't think F(x) is marketable enough for the Chinese market? At least not yet. They're probably just trying to work on their popularity in Korea right now to solidify a place for them in the eyes of the public, something like what SNSD has. I think only when they're satisfied with that will they expand farther out. I mean doesn't F(x) occasionally promote in Japan too? I don't think they do that well there either, so it doesn't even make sense to branch out to China when they still have Korea to focus on. Additionally, the only Chinese members they have are Victoria and Amber, and I don't even think Amber speaks Mandarin all that well. So really they'd just be pushing Victoria and I don't think that's enough to sell F(x) to China.

But I do agree with your point that their non-Korean members are there specifically for the purpose of promoting in other countries. SM has learned from Super Junior that it's better to have a set lineup from the beginning than to try adding new members later for the sole purpose of promoting overseas. Eventually they will probably have F(x) promote more in China, after their popularity in Korea is already guaranteed and they have room for extra activities. I think EXO is SM's new guinea pig and they are going to learn everything they need to about promoting in China from them. So in that respect they don't really need to test the waters with F(x) until they're fully sure they know how to navigate them successfully.

To your part about Japan, f(x) is actually one of the only Korean groups who has virtually zero Japanese promotion. They released Hot Summer as a single, and that's it. In 2012.

Now, i agree about the marketability. f(x) is very strange, which I enjoy, but I admit it's a very niche thing. The chinese market is VERY small, and it's prolly just not WORTH it for them.

Another thing is that they are all Korean, BASICALLY. Victoria got the Korean treatment, Surgery, attitude, etc, and she doesn't ACT very Chinese anymore. In the same way Nickhun doesn't act Thai.

Now, the thing about f(x) being silidified in Korea....they are? They are more solidified than Secret, Sistar, or even Miss A. In order, Korea's general attitude and "ranking" of girl groups is as follows:
SNSD>2ne1>KARA (Although that's more 2012)>T-ara (again, mid 2012, T-ara is like a group of bottom feeders now)>f(x)>miss A.
I of course leave out Wonder girls, who would be some where between 2ne1 and KARA, maybe after KARA and before T-ara. However, now that WG, T-ara, and KARA are dying, and dying fast, f(x) is pretty much solid Top5, or even 3, or 4 in placement. Even miss A is dying since JYP seems to not want to promote them ever (Suzy syndrome).

But yeh, f(x) is hardcore in Korea. Sulli was in competition for Nations Daughter with Suzy after IU lost her title. SM didn't promote her enough so Suzy got the title, but Sulli is easily one of the Top10 female idols in Korea.

High Skool ~ VIP ~ St☆rlight ~ Blackjack ~ Kamilia ~ Shawol ~ Aff(x)tionate ~ Dai5y ~ S♥ne ~ Aileean
♥ Han Seungyeon ♥
My last.fm