Back to Top!

Is K-Pop growing in Europe?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
ninaxbj
Post Apr 20, 2014 @ 1:30 pm

Lul no it isn't and for once I agree with all of the comments. @Jac SHINee is the only Kpop group besides bigbang that deserves that crowd lol and bc I'm biased and those are my babies.


SHINee+Afterschool*3Jbiased Jackson-Jonghyun-JonginMagical girl~ (´ω`)

littlejay
Post Apr 20, 2014 @ 1:39 pm

special1005 wrote:they won't if they choose the venue and location wisely, sm-artists will be enough for people to fill it completely, the thing is - no one wants to bother with kpop, and we are still new to the west/european artists concerts and it's a more proven way to make money

ya the thing about European Kpop fans is that I always hear someone from a neighboring country wanting to meet up with someone from another country to attend the concert in another European country. It's because there are so many European countries and it's difficult to choose the right venue that will target everyone in Europe. Also its still a small market compared to other regions. 700 million people living in Europe and there are 50 countries.

North America alone (2 countries: Canada and US) has 500 million people. It's a lot easier to do research on 2 countries than 50.

Jac
Post Apr 20, 2014 @ 5:15 pm

Geseki2 wrote:
Jac wrote:There is never any focus on Kpop in Latin America which is funny because it is HUGE here.
I had my desktop background as Big Bang at work and one of the IT guys came up and went, "Oh, nice. I like 2PM better, though."


that says enough really


What, because he works in the IT department?
Your logic is nonexistent.

He's only one example of someone I've found who knows Kpop here.
But really, does it matter how someone finds out?
The point is that they know about it.


♥ V.I.P.♥ St☆rlight ♥ Shawol ♥ Exotic ♥ Baby ♥ BBC ♥ A+ ♥ A.R.M.Y ♥ DEEPS ♥ Storia ♥ B2uty ♥

Geseki2
Post Apr 21, 2014 @ 12:32 am

Jac wrote:
Geseki2 wrote:
Jac wrote:There is never any focus on Kpop in Latin America which is funny because it is HUGE here.
I had my desktop background as Big Bang at work and one of the IT guys came up and went, "Oh, nice. I like 2PM better, though."


that says enough really


What, because he works in the IT department?
Your logic is nonexistent.

He's only one example of someone I've found who knows Kpop here.
But really, does it matter how someone finds out?
The point is that they know about it.


if you fail to see the logic in it, you must be a nerd yourself


PhoenixVFIRE
Post Apr 21, 2014 @ 3:29 am

Damn, that first comment hit the nail completely on the head.

This is one thing I always thought was so funny, because I'm pretty sure if I went up to ANYONE where I live and asked them about Kpop, I would get Psy or nothing at all... Kpop is really not that big at all and it's embarrassing when they hype it.


~St☆rlight~
kdragonkwon
Post Apr 21, 2014 @ 3:45 am

littlejay wrote:ya the thing about European Kpop fans is that I always hear someone from a neighboring country wanting to meet up with someone from another country to attend the concert in another European country. It's because there are so many European countries and it's difficult to choose the right venue that will target everyone in Europe. Also its still a small market compared to other regions. 700 million people living in Europe and there are 50 countries.

North America alone (2 countries: Canada and US) has 500 million people. It's a lot easier to do research on 2 countries than 50.

Your point stands fine (I'm not quibbling with it) but I would like to add that kpop fans in Europe are pretty willing to travel for the gigs and from what I understand from my US friends flights within Europe can be comparatively really quite cheap to within the US - we feel targeted to go to the concert if it's in any European country, assuming we are able to afford travel. I think that the companies are starting to pick up on this somewhat because they seem to be putting on more gigs in Europe lately than before and not just in the same places every time.

Really, I am just grateful when they come at all, I've been spoiled with kpop coming to Europe lately, may it continue ^_^



Yaayanee
Post Apr 21, 2014 @ 10:12 am

KPOP is still very much a niche EVERYWHERE. Even in places where there's a lot of KPOP fans, such as East Asia and Latin America, it's not mainstream and it's just another foreign genre there that has its own fan culture.

Europe is small. They pick like 2 or 3 destinations for the tour locations and other European fans are willing to travel to another country just to make it to the concert. You can't really do that elsewhere, traveling within your own country can already be a problem or super expensive and just isn't feasible for most fans even if their country isn't large. The EU allows its members to travel rather freely across the continent and there's less hassles when it comes to passports and such compared to everywhere else. Having a Paris or London location and selling out with a couple thousand seats or more...should be pretty expected since it's not just fans from France or the UK traveling.

HallyuNoona
Post Apr 21, 2014 @ 10:15 am

Yaayanee wrote:KPOP is still very much a niche EVERYWHERE. Even in places where there's a lot of KPOP fans, such as East Asia and Latin America, it's not mainstream and it's just another foreign genre there that has its own fan culture.

Europe is small. They pick like 2 or 3 destinations for the tour locations and other European fans are willing to travel to another country just to make it to the concert. You can't really do that elsewhere, traveling within your own country can already be a problem or super expensive and just isn't feasible for most fans even if their country isn't large. The EU allows its members to travel rather freely across the continent and there's less hassles when it comes to passports and such compared to everywhere else. Having a Paris or London location and selling out with a couple thousand seats or more...should be pretty expected since it's not just fans from France or the UK traveling.


So true, it can actually be quicker for me to get to France than the north of my own country!


Please visit my blog at Hallyunoona.com and also check me out at blog.onehallyu.com

Why not check out 24/7 Kpop music videos at HallyuNoonaTV and chat with other viewers!
consortguiofhuaxia
Post Jun 13, 2014 @ 1:03 pm

littlejay wrote:Kpop may be growing in Europe but I don't see it getting big. The largest country in Europe is Russia and we know kpop will have a difficult time making it there. Then you have Germany, the second largest European country which I don't see kpop getting big in either.

Kpop can grow in the UK and France for sure cause there are lots of Asians there and also they like pop music but there are only 64 million people living in the UK and 65 million in France. Europe is a small market in comparison to Asia which has over 4 billion people.


Ah but Europe is on average much more economically and socially developed than Asia. Most countries in Asia are still developing, including two of the most populous countries in Asia, namely China and India. The only country in Asia that can actually match up with the likes of Britain and France and Germany in Europe in terms of economic development, social development and spending habits is Japan, thanks to the Meiji era's policies of of keeping up closely and cooperating with Western powers over a hundred years ago. Feelings of wealth and security are embedded in Japanese society despite Japan's declining economy these past decades.

I agree with you about Russia. Socially, Russia is quite conservative and its people are quite culturally influenced by domestic politics. South Korea is arguably America's closest developed ally in Asia an we all known that Russia doesn't get along with the West even if the Cold War is history.


三千宠爱在一身!
consortguiofhuaxia
Post Jun 13, 2014 @ 1:04 pm

Yaayanee wrote:KPOP is still very much a niche EVERYWHERE. Even in places where there's a lot of KPOP fans, such as East Asia and Latin America, it's not mainstream and it's just another foreign genre there that has its own fan culture.

Europe is small. They pick like 2 or 3 destinations for the tour locations and other European fans are willing to travel to another country just to make it to the concert. You can't really do that elsewhere, traveling within your own country can already be a problem or super expensive and just isn't feasible for most fans even if their country isn't large. The EU allows its members to travel rather freely across the continent and there's less hassles when it comes to passports and such compared to everywhere else. Having a Paris or London location and selling out with a couple thousand seats or more...should be pretty expected since it's not just fans from France or the UK traveling.


It also helps that you can pretty much travel freely across EU nations thanks to policies of friendship.


三千宠爱在一身!
laila8
Post Jun 13, 2014 @ 3:41 pm

Kpop grew imo.
And it is bigger tha jrock and jpop. Not to mention mando pop. But it isn't big.They don't have media coverage, and there is some kind of affection to western music here so kpop is often seen as a bad copy, or a weird rival to that.
It is also true that fan themselves treat it strangely. I mean, it is perfectly normal I believe, to listent to Lady Gaga and don't give a s*** about Selena Gomez, but in the kpop fandom there is this general idea you have to like/listen to it all. So more than the artist you end up liking the idea. And that is weird to outsiders. Why if I like Big Bang should I like A-Pink? Not everyone does it, but it is kind of expected you know the names and the songs of most bands. Relevant or not. And people in the industry know it, because the fandom, especially of the big three follow the agency first, then, as a consequence, the group. Look at WINNER or SM the Rookies, what they did with EXO, etc. etc.
The language is a barrier... yes and no. You can find translation of the lyrics and the videos not only in english but in many other european languages, so no excuses, people who are not fluent in english would need to look up the lyrics anyway and would understand pretty much the same words they understand in the avarage kpop song "Baby don't leave me, I love you, I want you, don't go, I miss you blah blah".
It is difficult for bands to come here, and tickets are extremely expensive. Still I find it amazing they can sell hundreds if not thousands of tickets priced over 50 euros with barely no promotion. Jrock bands who came to europe had lower prices, went to smaller venues and gather less people. I don't know any jpop band who came here, unless you count Gackt. Hopefully Laruku would still count as jrock.
In this sense kpop is big. Or at least the fandom is incredible.


SugarShapley
Post Oct 08, 2014 @ 10:30 pm

elemeniah wrote:I don't think K-Pop has really made an impact over here. When they were saying it was spreading I was thinking I might see a band on the music channels but no. People only know Psy. But you never know it might take over!

*cough*help me bring Exo on TV*cough*

http://kpopselca.com/forum/k-pop/let-s-bring-more-kpop-to-europe-you-can-help-yes-you-read-t41141/?hilit=kpop%20europe