Back to Top!

Is this really offensive?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:07 pm

@2min
apparently a lot of people are losing their shit because rap monster spoke with a deep voice and said it's black-feeling or something.

how are so many people on tumblr so offended omg. is it even that bad? like chill out. like im not even defending as a fan but thats just dumb to be so offended by this. when i was watching i was expecting so much worse.

u-gay
0hobak
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Well, this is what happens when basically the only black people that Koreans encounter are in movies.

misowwird
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

same thing happened to Yuri

theb1tchslayer21
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

Gurl...Some people are just so stupid~ I just ignore those people, but if they get carried away with their comments I always call them out on their ignorance~

~King Z~
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

0hobak wrote:Well, this is what happens when basically the only black people that Koreans encounter are in movies.

yeah, thats why people shouldnt be so quick to get angry at these things. people are calling him out for being racist but is it even his fault? like this is what koreans are exposed to, especially guys like him who are into hip hop/rap culture.

u-gay
AnamanaInspirit
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Eh.
It doesn't effect their music.
I never really thought personal affairs should matter at all.
Plus, I'm guessing it's only international fans losing their shits, and they don't matter to BTS in case of a scandal or something

FT Island & 100% & Steeze
doyouwannabe
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

LOL. I can see why some people may find it offensive. But people wanted him beaten up, kicked out of the group and for the group to disband because they're all disgusting.

... Perhaps a slight overreaction.

Letsjijiparty
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

I am not really offended by this. I find it funny tbqh lol
But not all black people talk like that so his comment was a bit ignorant.
And no, I don't think his comment was racist in any way.

AnamanaInspirit
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Letsjijiparty wrote:I am not really offended by this. I find it funny tbqh lol
But not all black people talk like that so his comment was a bit ignorant.
And no, I don't think his comment was racist in any way.

ignorant is a much better word.

FT Island & 100% & Steeze
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

AnamanaInspirit wrote:Eh.
It doesn't effect their music.
I never really thought personal affairs should matter at all.
Plus, I'm guessing it's only international fans losing their shits, and they don't matter to BTS in case of a scandal or something

of course its only international fans. korea wouldnt care about something like this.

u-gay
0hobak
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

kurumi wrote:yeah, thats why people shouldnt be so quick to get angry at these things. people are calling him out for being racist but is it even his fault? like this is what koreans are exposed to, especially guys like him who are into hip hop/rap culture.

I mean, you can put fault on him for imitating a black person in the first place, but you can't pin racist intent on him, or really blame him.

You can't exactly curse someone out for something they just never had exposure to beyond stereotypical media portrayal.

It's not willful ignorance, that's the big difference.

Letsjijiparty
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

doyouwannabe wrote:LOL. I can see why some people may find it offensive. But people wanted him beaten up, kicked out of the group and for the group to disband because they're all disgusting.

... Perhaps a slight overreaction.

Okay, this is a bit too much.
Everyone needs to calm down. lol

thisname1
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

People love jumping their conclusions right to racism. Actually, the ones saying it's racist are the ones with the mentality that people can "act black" if they say things a certain way, so really, they're the ones being stereotypical and racist.

rananicolee
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:05 pm

I notice a few international fans make a big deal out of things.

Kpopismylife1994
Post Jun 27, 2013 @ 5:31 am

As an African-American I thought it was funny. To be honest if I didn't know it was him, I would have thought it was a black man talking. I think that people need to stop being so quick to call everything racist. And if you're American you can't talk cuz we all know Americans love to make fun of Asian people. (i.e. ching chang chong). So take the stick out of your asses and enjoy something that is actually funny. It's not like he painted his face black...