Back to Top!

Is this really offensive?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:07 pm


@2min
apparently a lot of people are losing their shit because rap monster spoke with a deep voice and said it's black-feeling or something.

how are so many people on tumblr so offended omg. is it even that bad? like chill out. like im not even defending as a fan but thats just dumb to be so offended by this. when i was watching i was expecting so much worse.


u-gay
0hobak
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:11 pm

Well, this is what happens when basically the only black people that Koreans encounter are in movies.


misowwird
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

same thing happened to Yuri

theb1tchslayer21
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:12 pm

Gurl...Some people are just so stupid~ I just ignore those people, but if they get carried away with their comments I always call them out on their ignorance~


~King Z~
BreezyGumiho
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

I see why some find this offensive because who really says their talent is talking like a black person? Not all black people talk in that manner. That being said I laughed because it was so stupid lol. People who are saying he needs to be kicked out the group need to take a fucking chill pill though. Most black I know in kpop really don't care about this, they laughed.




Also, V looks good as fuck.


ZELO'S WIFE & NUMBER ONE FAN! Princess of Babyz Breezy +Zelo=BreLo
B.A.P>>>YOUR FAVS Proud Delusional BABY
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:14 pm

0hobak wrote:Well, this is what happens when basically the only black people that Koreans encounter are in movies.

yeah, thats why people shouldnt be so quick to get angry at these things. people are calling him out for being racist but is it even his fault? like this is what koreans are exposed to, especially guys like him who are into hip hop/rap culture.


u-gay
AnamanaInspirit
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:15 pm

Eh.
It doesn't effect their music.
I never really thought personal affairs should matter at all.
Plus, I'm guessing it's only international fans losing their shits, and they don't matter to BTS in case of a scandal or something


FT Island & 100% & Steeze
doyouwannabe
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:16 pm

LOL. I can see why some people may find it offensive. But people wanted him beaten up, kicked out of the group and for the group to disband because they're all disgusting.

... Perhaps a slight overreaction.


Letsjijiparty
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:17 pm

I am not really offended by this. I find it funny tbqh lol
But not all black people talk like that so his comment was a bit ignorant.
And no, I don't think his comment was racist in any way.


AnamanaInspirit
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

Letsjijiparty wrote:I am not really offended by this. I find it funny tbqh lol
But not all black people talk like that so his comment was a bit ignorant.
And no, I don't think his comment was racist in any way.

ignorant is a much better word.


FT Island & 100% & Steeze
kurumi
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:18 pm

AnamanaInspirit wrote:Eh.
It doesn't effect their music.
I never really thought personal affairs should matter at all.
Plus, I'm guessing it's only international fans losing their shits, and they don't matter to BTS in case of a scandal or something

of course its only international fans. korea wouldnt care about something like this.


u-gay
0hobak
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:19 pm

kurumi wrote:yeah, thats why people shouldnt be so quick to get angry at these things. people are calling him out for being racist but is it even his fault? like this is what koreans are exposed to, especially guys like him who are into hip hop/rap culture.

I mean, you can put fault on him for imitating a black person in the first place, but you can't pin racist intent on him, or really blame him.

You can't exactly curse someone out for something they just never had exposure to beyond stereotypical media portrayal.

It's not willful ignorance, that's the big difference.


Letsjijiparty
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:20 pm

doyouwannabe wrote:LOL. I can see why some people may find it offensive. But people wanted him beaten up, kicked out of the group and for the group to disband because they're all disgusting.

... Perhaps a slight overreaction.

Okay, this is a bit too much.
Everyone needs to calm down. lol


amheo
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 9:40 pm

These posts on Tumblr said it best imo
SHOW SPOILER My Thoughts on Bangtan’s International Scandal (Brain Included)
I promised myself I wouldn’t go into the Bangtan or Rap Monster tags today after all that’s happened, but I broke my promise, and I’m sorry to say this, but the stupidity of some people is shocking.

In regards to what Rap Monster did – yes, it was wrong. I have not, am not and will never condone that behaviour. It is ignorant, and rude and before I get any anonymous messages from people who don’t have the guts to talk to me through their accounts – I am not saying ‘oppa didn’t mean it’ or ‘it wasn’t oppa’s fault.’….

Yes it was. It was entirely his fault and entirely his choice. However, almost immediately after the broadcast, Rap Monster tweeted an apology.

And there lies another problem some people seem to have. Apparently, he is placing blame on the whole group. Yes, it was worded that way, but they are a team. One member in trouble means that the group as a whole faces problems. Besides, they were all laughing along with him when he did it, so that makes them at fault too. But as the leader, Rap Monster apologised for everyone. (While the words ‘I’m sorry’ were not included in the translation, the fact that he made it clear he had made a mistake and the way it was written meant that it was an apology.)

Bangtan has quickly gained enemies as a whole group because of this, and has lost some of it’s original international fanbase. While it is your choice to stay and support a group or not, I personally am choosing to stay because he recognised what he did was wrong and (I’m hoping) this experience has taught him a lesson. He won’t do it again. There are plenty of idols who have received backlash from international fans because of racist remarks, and they haven’t done it again – so why should he? They also have gone on to be very popular groups with incredibly large fanbases – both on home soil and across the world, (most notably Big Bang and SNSD).

I have seen comments saying the group should disband, that Rap Monster needs to be beaten, that the group as a whole are disgusting etc. Let me tell you, I’m dropping the formalities to say that anyone who says this kind of thing is a fucking idiot, someone who takes things way overboard, and/or probably has more empty space in their head than brain cells. How could you say that an 18 year old boy who got caught up with nerves and said the wrong thing – and then apologised for it – deserves to have physical violence brought upon him? And people are leaving messages where he can read them. There are no excuses for that kind of behaviour.

Also, I’d like to let everyone know now that anonymous messages attacking me or my opinion will be deleted without so much as a glance. If you wish to discuss why I’m wrong like a rational, sensible, polite human being, then send me a private message and I’ll get back to you.

SHOW SPOILER btw if anybody wants some context on the whole rapmon controversy thing
he never said his talent was “talking black”. to be more accurate, he said he’d improvise- and later added he would emulate the feel of a “흑형”/black hyung”(the practice of referring to somebody as “black hyung, nuna, dongsaeng, close relation, etc etc” has been popularized within the korean internet sphere as of late, as an alternative to more offensive, alienating terms). in this case rap monster was likely referring to the style the american rappers he listens to (who are literally black hyungs) talk in, rather than implying the whole race. i also get a feeling his whole “i don’t wanna talk about it” spiel is likely borrowed from 50 cent’s song “I Don’t Wanna Talk About it” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jkulpbcv70)

on this note, people found it funny not bc haha black people talk funny, but bc it sounded legitimate (+ simultaneously corny) enough to the untrained, non-english speaking ear—hence why shindong specifically pointed out the fact that rap monster actually slipped some korean words in there.

that being said, what he said was still a stupid + vaguely appropriative thing to say/do, so certain bangstans shouldn’t be telling people who feel offended to calm down. making generalizations and perpetuating stereotypes is wrong, regardless of intent, so let’s not resort to criticizing people who are legitimately hurt by his mistake.


they are dangerous stay away while u can
thisname1
Post Jun 25, 2013 @ 11:01 pm

People love jumping their conclusions right to racism. Actually, the ones saying it's racist are the ones with the mentality that people can "act black" if they say things a certain way, so really, they're the ones being stereotypical and racist.