Back to Top!

MV Which female group mv has the strongest choreography?

Discuss the latest Korean pop music, MVs and performances
19Rizada90
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:24 pm

Are there any female idol groups which have strong choreography that can be matched to the male groups. I noticed that male groups focus heavily on dancing in their music videos. The dances are often intricate and difficult to master. I don't really notice this type of choreo in girl groups.

The only o be I can think of is snsd' s ITNW remix dance, but II don't really count that since there wasn't an official m/v using it.

19Rizada90
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:25 pm

Sorry for typos. I am using my kindle and I can't use the backspace on these forums for some reason.

GoodJoy
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

19Rizada90 wrote:Are there any female idol groups which have strong choreography that can be matched to the male groups. I noticed that male groups focus heavily on dancing in their music videos. The dances are often intricate and difficult to master. I don't really notice this type of choreo in girl groups.

The only o be I can think of is snsd' s ITNW remix dance, but II don't really count that since there wasn't an official m/v using it.

There is no one. Not snsd too. Don't be ridiculous, OP.

boa578
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

isthisthekrustykrab
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

I know it's not the strongest choreography, but it's definitely better than a lot of other girl group dances

Mikhayy2
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:31 pm

F(x) isn't Asia's girl dance group for nothing.

KenKenni
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:32 pm

Mikhayy2 wrote:F(x) isn't Asia's girl dance group for nothing.

this. fx would be the closest to what you are looking for.

damianb
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

KenKenni wrote:

this. fx would be the closest to what you are looking for.

Are both of yous being serious :-?

I must be the only one who does not get why they got that nickname because to me their dances are absolutely nothing impressive.
Just because they danced in rain once doesn't mean they're the best.
Lets not kid ourselves here, Sulli is like watching an elephant trying to walk in heels.
Luna and Vic are the only ones who are really good.

minkwon2
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 6:59 pm

rose_lily
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:04 pm

Good dance groups.
Miss A - Suzy is average, but the rest are phenomenal.
After school - they have a dancing cohesiveness that no other group has.
Sometimes Nine Muses and SNSD
Rarely f(x) - Luna and Victoria are the only decent dancers. Luna is probably a better dancer than Victoria visually, but Victoria has better technique. Better technique does not mean a better dancer though.
Lol can't really think of any more. But they need to get better choreo for miss A.

As it is now, Afterschool has the best dances. They have decent choreo due to concepts. Eg. Tap dancing, drumline, pole dancing. Most other dances seem repetitive and boring because there are only so many dance moves you can do.

I think that people also mistake level of complexity between boy group and girl group dances, because the styles are so different. Generally speaking though, girl groups usually have easier choreo due to heels and people want to see boobs and ass, and so that is prioritised over other dance styles.

Dance MVs that are good.
After school - Lets Step Up, First Love -their cohesiveness as a group makes the dances more pleasant to watch than others. Flashback is a good example of where a dance was interesting without a specific concept. The pole dancing in first love could have been really cheap but it wasn't, so the choreo really impressed me.
SNSD - ITNW( only because if hyoyeons interlude, of which the choreo for those are getting worse, she needs to ramp it the f up before the dance impresses me again.) Hyoyeons solo from the first Asia tour (watch really closely on 1080p for the full effect. )
Miss A - Breathe and Touch have lovely choreo mostly.
Random ones: Kara's Lupin isn't bad. AOA 's Get Out isn't bad either. EXIDs Every Night, SNSD - Genie and IGAB, Boa's Only one is really good.
Gain's Bloom gets best use of backup dancers. This is all I can think of right now, but im a massive fan of T-ara's Like the first time dance.

A group doesn't have to have AMAZING dancers for the group to be good at dance.
Miss A has three amazing dancers and one average, which makes it sit much less cohesively in the MV.
Afterschool has no AMAZING dancers, they are all around the same level (above average), but they fit together perfectly, which makes the dance look amazing.
This is also why Yuri and Hyoyeon dance next to each other more than Yoona and Hyoyeon. And Yoona and Sooyoung should dance together more.
Their styles compliment each other.
Yuri is the only one close enough to Hyoyeon's level to make it look any good. But yuri and Yoona have a similar "look" to their dancing when they dance together and have more synthesis than Yoona and Hyo together. You can see this in their cover of Deja Vu, where, despite all the shots of Yoona, she doesn't fit with the other two. Honestly, Sunny would have been a better choice to dance that, and Yoona and Sooyoung could have done something together.

Actual Choreo videos to watch.
T-ara - Cry Cry
Nine Muses - Figaro

Shit I didn't mean to write that much, and it's not very cohesive. Maybe one day I'll write a long dance post lol

rose_lily
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

minkwon2 wrote:

The choreo for figaro is much better performed, but this is a better choreo itself, just not performed as well.
This seems like they are tired and not as cohesive as I've seen them.

SuRoRo
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:08 pm

I don't know, but I really like Dambi/Kahi in 'Amoled'

But nobody beats BoA's choreography...

minkwon2
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:10 pm

rose_lily wrote:
minkwon2 wrote:

The choreo for figaro is much better performed, but this is a better choreo itself, just not performed as well.

I agree, figaro is definitely their best executed dance so far.
I think they didn't do as well with their Wild choreo because they're still getting used to having 9 members as opposed to the 7 they had in figaro; I'm also not sure how good Sungah as it dancing (Kyungri was added later but she's definitely good)

I agree solely with your post before this one, btw. After School is a perfect example of a dancing group

combover
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:14 pm

I find with male dancers, they're all pretty much the same level with one who is usually just better than the rest. Occasionally you'll get a weak male dancer (TOP, Heechul) but usually with that they have a stronger male dancer to pick the slack up (Taeyang, Eunhyuk)

JYP should make an offer to SM to make a Hyoyeon/Min subunit just because the dance would be awesome.

I don't know if I could ever see a male group pulling off After School's choreography though, First Love was impressive. Miss A's choreography is amazing, and Suzy can keep up so it works well. f(x) don't work well together as dancers. Victoria is an amazing dancer, but she's still new to hip hop style so it doesn't mesh well, Luna is a great at hip hop, Krystal showed how well she dances on that Ice Show, Sulli kind of slows them down now, she was a little better at debut. SNSD were good at debut then just went for cute (youtube Kissing You poppin version or something and just watch Hyoyeon go all out with that lollipop, poor girl just wanted to dance), but Paparazzi & I Got a Boy were a step in the right direction, but they'd need to make a subunit with the dancers + Seohyun/maybe Sunny to actually shine for dancing since Tiffany & recently Jessica are weak links. T-ara are more along the lines of the same level as each other but have no one dancer to shine and take it over the top. 2NE1, no. 4minute, um, apparently Jihyun is studying dance? So? I dunno lol

But we definitely need to see HyoMin. They can do a dance battle with HoMin.

rose_lily
Post Aug 11, 2013 @ 7:19 pm

minkwon2 wrote:
rose_lily wrote:
minkwon2 wrote:

I agree, figaro is definitely their best executed dance so far.
I think they didn't do as well with their Wild choreo because they're still getting used to having 9 members as opposed to the 7 they had in figaro; I'm also not sure how good Sungah as it dancing (Kyungri was added later but she's definitely good)

I agree solely with your post before this one, btw. After School is a perfect example of a dancing group

I really think it's just tiredness in this video. I can't see who is making the mistakes though, because I don't know them well enough. I think with time and beginning to learn the intricacies of the dancing style of the other members, they will be able to compliment each other much better. Their CEO did a good job of picking members though because their styles are similar which will help them in the long run and which is where JYP failed a little with Suzy in miss A as a DANCE group. Every other component she seems to fit with I guess.
This is also why Hyoyeon should probably have gone solo over being in snsd tbqh.