Back to Top!

[YG Confirmed] Minzy to leave 2NE1, group to return as 3 for a summer comeback

Share the latest Korean celebrity news and gossip!
Page 1 of 1
MirUsako
Post Apr 04, 2016 @ 11:35 pm

By Eyn 
ygunited

This is YG Entertainment’s Official statement about 2NE1.

We apologize that we are bringing unfortunate news to the 2NE1 fans who have been waiting for such a long time.

We would like to officially announce that 2NE1’s maknae Gong Minzy will not be continuing with the group.

With 2NE1’s contracts ending on 5/5/2016, we met with each 2NE1 member to discuss contract renewals and terms but unfortunately Gong Minzy did not go forth.

Sending away someone who has been with us for 11 years since her trainee days is difficult for all but due to the sudden hiatus 2 years ago, Gong Minzy had some hard times that we full understan. Rather than feeling upset, we are apologetic towards her.

There were uncertainties as to what would happen to 2NE1 since Gong Minzy’s departure, but Yang Hyun SUk states that “No matter what happens, I want to continue 2NE1.’ “During the hard times it is important to join forces to geth throught it.”
The other three members renewed contracts with the goal of releasing new music this Summer, and there are no thoughts of adding new member.

As 2NE1’s world tour proved, 2NE1 is a group that debuted 7 years ago that has Korean fans but also International fans who await their new songs and comeback.

Even when looking at a global scale, it is hard to see a group to promote together for 7 years. It is very difficult and almost impossible to do so without difficulties.

2NE1 is in the situation where a sudden hiaturs took place 2 years ago due to unfortunate events, and one member out of the four has decided to leave. We will try our best to overcome this.

This is a promise to the fans who have waited and trusted in 2NE1’s music for this long time. We will return with the most 2NE1-like.. The most 2NE1 style music.

Thank you.

Trans by: big_seunghyun
SOURCE yg-life

ThatAwkwardPenguin
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 2:37 am

@littlejay called it a few months ago oh god

I'm upset, but it's understandable. Girl didn't train and drop out of school and all that shit to be constantly brushed under the rug in favour of others. If she decides to sign with another agency, I will support her all the way, and I can't wait to see what she does. She does have a lot of potential that was being wasted away in YG's dungeons. Idk if I'll continue to support 2NE1 though, Minzy was the only thing I liked about the group. We'll see, though.

She was my first ever bias and I still love her dearly. I'm happy that she recognises that she is talented and deserves better, and I hope she'll go somewhere that will make her very happy and will let her shine, bc she is a goddamn gem.

Unique
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 2:58 am

That summer comeback will not happen, otherwise she wouldn't had left.
I think that at his point, she can do it on her own. YG only cares about Boring Winner and Flopkon and he will regret it big time.

BabyPandaHat
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 3:09 am

We all knew it.. I'm telling you, if YG had given her a solo here and there and worked more on 21 than their newbs then this would not have happened. But Minzy got nothing and got bored, and now they're fucking up one of their best assets. 

Left Kpopselca
MirUsako
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 5:29 am

Article: YG, "Gong Minzy will be leaving 2NE1... group will maintain itself with no additional members"
Source: Star News via Nate

1. [+1,391, -67] So when is Park Bom being thrown in jail?

2. [+1,124, -162] In my opinion, Minzy is leaving YG because she's sick of their corruption. On the outside already, she's had to deal with Park Bom's drug scandal and the public can see so many things wrong already, Minzy probably knows more because she's actually working with them on the inside. Imagine how much she's seen already. YG's a powerful agency and yet their staff still couldn't keep her from leaving... the fact that she's still leaving shows that she doesn't like YG anymore after being with them.

3. [+939, -64] YG just seems so crazy to me. They hid a drug smuggler for 5 years and didn't even bat an eyelash when they got caught. Now the wrong member is leaving and YG's using her as noise marketing to talk about the group's new summer comeback ㅋㅋㅋ

4. [+116, -2] Poor Minzy, she has nearly a 10 year age gap with the oldest unni of the group and yet the unni's the one causing all the scandals so she can't say anything

5. [+110, -0] I'm more shocked that YG renewed Park Bom's contract than the fact that Minzy's leaving. YG is so unpredictable.

6. [+103, -4] What does YG intend to do with a 3 member 2NE1? CL's going to be the only one doing everything from rapping to stage presence. What is Sandara who has no talent going to do? What is drug smuggler Park Bo going to do?

7. [+87, -1] The most sane member of the group is leaving

8. [+71, -6] The member that they need the most is leaving

Source: Naver

1. [+15,748, -525] Let's all agree on one truth here and it's that one member ruined the entire group, tsk tsk

2. [+14,105, -525] Minzy probably felt like she was back to being a YG trainee... Yang CEO, this is not the time for you to be focusing on adding actor contracts to the company. Do you care about 2NE1 at all? Do you think it's easy to get a girl group like that?

3. [+10,912, -441] I don't get why YG is keeping Park Bom

4. [+10,699, -513] What the;;; YG should be kicking Park Bom, what is wrong with them?

5. [+8,883, -459] Park Bom is so shameless. She's not leaving when it's her fault that the group is suffering like this ㅋㅋㅋ

6. [+2,847, -67] YG talks as if it's because of Minzy that the entire group couldn't renew their contracts ㅋㅋㅋㅋ We all know it's because of another member

7. [+2,711, -54] Minzy-ya, succeed and shove it in their faces

8. [+2,663, -38] I bet YG only cares about CL from 2NE1 anyway..

Article: Fan reactions to 2NE1 Minzy's leave
Source: X Sports News via Nate

1. [+668, -26] She made the right choice. The more 2NE1 tries to promote with Park Bom, the more their popularity will tank. She's better off being a solo than staying in a company with no opportunities. Minzy has a great voice so I hope she becomes a singer like Gummy and succeeds with a ballad or something.

2. [+541, -20] I don't know what the future holds for her but I think she made the right choice. Everyone agrees on one thing and it's that she's talented so fighting!

3. [+435, -18] What's disgusting about YG is that they caused this entire mess and stayed quiet all along only to come out and use her as media play for 2NE1's summer comeback ㅋㅋ and I'm sure they'll noise market the crap out of it using Park Bom like MC Mong did by using his scandal to sell his song

4. [+28, -0] Honestly, YG played so dirty this time around. They're the ones who kept her on the backburner so long and it wouldn't have hurt for them to give Minzy an amicable farewell from the company but instead they started leaking to the media that she was requesting huge contract numbers. And why would you talk about 2NE1's summer comeback while announcing her leave... If the group was actually preparing for a comeback, they'd have to be busy with the prep right now and would Minzy have thought about leaving if that was true? It's like they're dumping all of the blame on her and just made up some story to match. YG's the type of company where you're only family if they need you otherwise they'll throw you to the side...

5. [+28, -2] At this point I'm wondering what kind of deep, deep relationship Park Bom has with YG

Article: 'Overcoming mountain over mountain' three things that 2NE1 needs to overcome
Source: News 1 via Naver

1. [+4,960, -112] Their issue with Park Bom is the biggest. So sad about Minzy leaving, she was a good singer and dancer~

2. [+4,261, -99] Why is the innocent member leaving...;; good luck to Minzy elsewhere

3. [+3,557, -221] Sacrificing the maknae instead of Park Bom, tsk

4. [+3,220, -173] Not looking forward to 2NE1 like I used to in the past anymore. They had this force that could swallow the music market whole but that's long been forgotten with their hiatus and Park Bom barely reflected at all for her scandal. I feel like if they try any type of media play at all before their comeback, I'm just going to hate them more.

5. [+2,119, -112] Like the article says, 2NE1's team color is no longer unique. What're they going to stand before the public as?

6. [+543, -5] Gong Minzy is still only a '94er. Other girl group members that age are still promoting actively but she's been stuck with a group of '84ers and couldn't even promote.

7. [+499, -21] Sandara's only in the group for her face. As a celebrity, she has zero talent. Singing, dancing, variety? Sucks at all of them. Park Bom's the problem of the group. CL gets all this support. Minzy was the odd one out... sigh.

8. [+393, -20] If Yang CEO had a brain, he wouldn't have renewed Park Bom's contract and added a new vocalist member to the three instead to cleanse the group's image. You should be cutting the rotten part out otherwise the entire fruit feels like it's rotten.

-
cr: Netizen Buzz

epidermis
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 5:52 am

It's a very sad day for a blackjack like me T-T Let's be honest, though, it was obvious that Minzy would leave sooner or later.
Why is Bom suddenly responsible for Minzy's decision?
I just hope that in the future 2NE1 will collab with Minzy at some point. I hope they don't bear grudges against each other.

Btw, this is YG's stocks a few hours after the statement.

YHS, you piece of shit

epidermis
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 5:55 am

Unique wrote:That summer comeback will not happen, otherwise she wouldn't had left.
I think that at his point, she can do it on her own. YG only cares about Boring Winner and Flopkon and he will regret it big time.
Lel, I think YHS will make a comeback happen just to milk the fans out of sympathy for the loss. You know, releasing a sad ballad that would commemorate their beloved maknae and all that bullshit.

But...but..I was a big fan of Winner's debut album and I love them (even though their new album is atrocious..but I listen to it anyway). iKon on the other hand is the cancer of YG.

Unique
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 6:09 am

epidermis wrote:
Unique wrote:That summer comeback will not happen, otherwise she wouldn't had left.
Lel, I think YHS will make a comeback happen just to milk the fans out of sympathy for the loss. You know, releasing a sad ballad that would commemorate their beloved maknae and all that bullshit.

But...but..I was a big fan of Winner's debut album and I love them (even though their new album is atrocious..but I listen to it anyway). iKon on the other hand is the cancer of YG.
Nah, I think he's just saying that to keep the fandom around. 

Winner was too hyped and YG sent them to Japan as soon as they debuted, so they became quite boring imo. As for ikon...they pretty much survive from their HUGE media play looool

ThatAwkwardPenguin
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 7:24 am

epidermis wrote:Btw, this is YG's stocks a few hours after the statement.

YHS, you piece of shit

lmaooooo eat shit yg look at those stocks touching the floor

I hope he wakes up after this and realises that he can't just lock his artists away for 3 years after each comeback and expect them to not want better treatment. His love for circlejerks with ikon and bigbang and maybe winner is too obvious

littlejay
Post Apr 05, 2016 @ 3:26 pm

ThatAwkwardPenguin wrote:@littlejay called it a few months ago oh god

I'm upset, but it's understandable. Girl didn't train and drop out of school and all that shit to be constantly brushed under the rug in favour of others. If she decides to sign with another agency, I will support her all the way, and I can't wait to see what she does. She does have a lot of potential that was being wasted away in YG's dungeons. Idk if I'll continue to support 2NE1 though, Minzy was the only thing I liked about the group. We'll see, though.

She was my first ever bias and I still love her dearly. I'm happy that she recognises that she is talented and deserves better, and I hope she'll go somewhere that will make her very happy and will let her shine, bc she is a goddamn gem.
my prediction was right like always.

kawaiiqueensone
Post Apr 28, 2016 @ 11:00 pm

T.T well im upset but i wish her luck 

(✿ ♥‿♥)princess R♔ 
whythefuckicare
Post May 08, 2016 @ 8:30 am

I mean it was established that all the other members (yes, even Bom) had something else going on other than 2NE1 so in the meantime Minzy would just do nothing. I understand her tbh, she was bored out of her mind, waiting for the next comeback for something to do and they didn't give her a solo even, I mean come the fuck on! 
All power to Minzy though, gurl you do you.

J-Law is love, J-Law is life
4minute|BIGBANG|Red Velvet|B2ST|BTS|Mamamoo

epidermis
Post May 29, 2016 @ 5:30 pm

whythefuckicare wrote:I mean it was established that all the other members (yes, even Bom) had something else going on other than 2NE1 so in the meantime Minzy would just do nothing. I understand her tbh, she was bored out of her mind, waiting for the next comeback for something to do and they didn't give her a solo even, I mean come the fuck on! 
All power to Minzy though, gurl you do you.
She opened up her dance studio, though. It's not that she was bored, it's probably her discontent with YG because everyone and their mother had a solo but not her.

Page 1 of 1