Back to Top!

Is pop a welcoming place for solo male singers ? Seems like females dominate pop

For all Non-Korean entertainment discussion: Hollywood, Jpop, Cpop, etc.
damianb
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:40 pm

It really does seem like female solo singers are dominating the music industry. I'm not talking about Asian pop music here. I'm talking about Western music.
I can't even think of 10 relevant male singers that currently are in the industry.
The only ones I can think of are :

Chris Brown
Miguel
Frank Ocean
Bruno Mars
Jason DeRulo
Adam Lambert

It looks like guys have a much better chance at making it in the industry if they become rappers or country singers.

minkwon2
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:45 pm

Most people I've asked have a preference towards girl voices, so I guess that's the reason for that. They think they're either prettier to hear or just more talented in general. Also, sex sells with easier with female singers so theres that as well.
And in retrospect, most people I've asked think almost all female rappers suck so there is that as well, so lately for the mainstream at least, it seems like male = rapper, female = singer

FaceFucked
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:47 pm

You forgot Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber

#TeamJustin

damianb
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:48 pm

FaceFucked wrote:You forgot Justin Timberlake and Justin Bieber

#TeamJustin

Oh yeah I did.
Well JT has been away for years he recently came back.

selhia
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:49 pm

It would seem that way. I wonder if it's easier to market and promote a woman, as opposed to a man. Well, all I know is, unless a guy ruins his image, it's a lot easier for him to maintain his success in the industry, compared to a woman. (Or so it seems.)

2NE1|4minute|f(x)|Wonder Girls|RaNia|Lee Hi|BIGBANG|SHINee|Lee Hyori|BoA|Rain|Koda Kumi|Namie Amuro|Utada Hikaru|L'Arc~en~Ciel|
lillian23910
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 5:50 pm

Males just aren't into other males. Females though tend to listen and stan both genders more than boys, that's why.

combover
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:02 pm

It is and it isn't.

I would say it's more welcoming for females, but when a male gets popular, their talent is rarely ever questioned (unless they obviously got famous for their looks) whereas female singers are scrutinized the hell out of. But then again, like rap music isn't very welcoming for females, rock music isn't as welcoming as it is with males

I just couldn't imagine a guy doing weird eccentric things like Lady Gaga or having a commanding, queen like (king like) presence like Beyonce. It'd be weird to see, but interesting

damianb
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:04 pm

minkwon2 wrote:Most people I've asked have a preference towards girl voices, so I guess that's the reason for that. They think they're either prettier to hear or just more talented in general. Also, sex sells with easier with female singers so theres that as well.
And in retrospect, most people I've asked think almost all female rappers suck so there is that as well, so lately for the mainstream at least, it seems like male = rapper, female = singer

That's true.
Reason why RiRi has a career.

combover wrote:
I just couldn't imagine a guy doing weird eccentric things like Lady Gaga or having a commanding, queen like (king like) presence like Beyonce. It'd be weird to see, but interesting

Ziggy Stardust, Pete Burns but that happened like 20-30 years ago.

combover
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:26 pm

damianb wrote:
combover wrote:

Ziggy Stardust, Pete Burns but that happened like 20-30 years ago.

I feel so stupid for forgetting about David Bowie...

SeoMania
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:27 pm

I guess Michael Jackson never existed.

littlejay
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:30 pm

SeoMania wrote:I guess Michael Jackson never existed.

Michael Jackson and Bobby Brown

Akio
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:34 pm

In America I do prefer female voices.

Groups I Don't like
Crayon Pop Ukiss Teen Top 2pm Super Junior
Akio
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:36 pm

combover wrote:It is and it isn't.

I would say it's more welcoming for females, but when a male gets popular, their talent is rarely ever questioned (unless they obviously got famous for their looks) whereas female singers are scrutinized the hell out of. But then again, like rap music isn't very welcoming for females, rock music isn't as welcoming as it is with males

You forgot about Elton John. He was wearing crazy stuff before Gaga came around. And he's a guy.

And Boy George

Groups I Don't like
combover
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:40 pm

Akio wrote:

You forgot about Elton John. He was wearing crazy stuff before Gaga came around. And he's a guy.

And Boy George

I also feel stupid for forgetting about Elton John...but I personally don't know Boy George that well xD

I dunno though, I would say Elton John was more rock genre than pop, same with Bowie, and we see a lot of random over the top stuff from rock in the 70s and 80s so I guess it was more common place, but I don't think I've really seen anything like that in pop music, but I'm pretty forgetful so there has to be a bunch

Akio
Post Aug 06, 2013 @ 6:42 pm

combover wrote:
Akio wrote:

And Boy George

I also feel stupid for forgetting about Elton John...but I personally don't know Boy George that well xD

I dunno though, I would say Elton John was more rock genre than pop, same with Bowie, and we see a lot of random over the top stuff from rock in the 70s and 80s so I guess it was more common place, but I don't think I've really seen anything like that in pop music, but I'm pretty forgetful so there has to be a bunch

That could be true. The only guy I know doing stuff like that now is like Cee Lo Green.

Groups I Don't like